• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil heat gurus

eldubb440

more miracles than Jesus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
beckett AFG with R7184A controller........

2 nights ago my burner shut down as if it ran out of oil......... lockout light flashing green....... pushed the reset button and immediately fires, no coughing, no lack of fuel or ignition....... ran perfect for the rest of the night

last night it did it again....... push the button......it's fine; but now I know I have an issue

after about an hour it happens again........ but this time; although it fired immediately, it doesn't sense a flame within the allotted time (15 seconds?) and shuts down......try again, same thing

ok.... something simple? maybe I have a cad cell (flame eye) issue.......... I open it up and the eye is fairly dirty, so I clean it up

turn the power on, and the green light is still flashing lockout........ push the button, and it remains in lockout; it will not reset

controller or circuit board?

or idiot working on his heater?

Thanks

Last edited:
IMG_20240201_181731028_HDR.jpg

Water level?
(shot in the dark)

how the filter look ? i was having similar issues with my oil forced air , talked with a buddy of mine , he a union hivac ( heat, cool , refrigeration…) he recommended i install this item , it’s called a tiger loop , i was skeptical but out gunned so i went with it . it removes airation in fuel and aids supply to pump . it worked great , i’ve had zero issues since installing . not real expensive , fairly easy to plumb in ….

3162FCE7-BE9E-4EB4-9C44-F39244F3A93E.png

Last edited:
3rd lock out.. you need to hold the button in for over 30 seconds. Mine flamed out yesterday,,, how I know !

3rd lock out.. you need to hold the button in for over 30 seconds. Mine flamed out yesterday,,, how I know !

I'll try, but it shouldn't be locking out in the first place......

I was headed to the filter, ..... but when it did refire, the fuel was right there,fired right up, and had no issues with burning

Replace the nozzle and check your air setting. A sooted up eye means it isn't burning right. And like Wayne stated, a hard lockout takes 30 seconds holding the button to reset.

he says they install them often , cures many issues ….

Might be that sensor widget.
Only ones I have ever worked on didn't have self diagnostic lol.
On those old beasts(one in my shop yet) the symptoms you describe happened when the little thermostat for the thing malfunctioned. Not the thermostat on the wall to tell it to turn on, the one on the furnace. If it senses things are too hot, like, no air flow making the heat exchanger too hot, it kicks out the burners, but the fan would run.

Move south!!!

I kind of do everything at once:

1. Replace the filter
2. New nozzle
3. while you have the nozzle out trace the wires to the pump and disconnect one of them then on an AFG pretty sure you can flip over the igniter and set the nozzle electrodes upside down on there
(use rubber gloves or a good insulator) hit the reset and watch the electrode spark it should have blue/white intensity and be continuous.

After all that you may need a new CAD cell or control/lockout if it still occurs.

When was the chamber last cleaned?
Check your chimney and barometric damper as well

Hopefully you get it straightened out they are pretty simple devices really.

99% sure it's the elctronics.........and why does this not say anything about 30 seconds?

1706832259467.png

lmao....... they hide this underneath? to hide it from guys like me?

IMG_20240201_192147577.jpg

lemme go put things back together.... now I think it's the flame eye issue I originally thought......I'll be back

YEP.... their website states "locked out for the third time call a technician". So for a 100 bucks an hour and service call fees they can hold the button in. Took me a lot of googling to solve mine after getting my tank filled this morning!

lmao....... they hide this underneath? to hide it from guys like me?

View attachment 1602198

lemme go put things back together.... now I think it's the flame eye issue I originally thought......I'll be back
Exactly, lol. On the primary controls made before the style you have, a guy could keep pushing that little red button. Each time it was pushed sent more fuel into the pot. Gets real dangerous when you finally do get a spark. I've seen them blow the smoke pipes right off the furnace. I have also walked away from more than one where the idiot homeowner pushed that damn button so many times that fuel was running onto the floor....

yeah...... I understand the mechanics of it all, but not the electronics....

anyway.....I put it back together, reset the lockout....... light did it's thing and went out

turned on the heat (I wish)......... and got absolutely nothing ......... FAIL

Auto Transport Service
Back