• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil leak please help

Loulang

Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
I have a leak coming from what appears to be the bolts to the rear main. I’ve read something ablout bolts bottoming out for the oil pan but this looks like it’s coming down from the bolt holes. I know nothing about this motor other than being told from the guy I purchased it from that he received it on a trade for body and paint work and he was told the motor was rebuilt not long before he got it and so was the tranny. Any ideas on how to stop this oil leak would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

3AF904E2-2420-4130-B4E9-DD8E76284CA6.jpeg

405E9B04-5D90-48E9-9AD8-E1BE28D4A089.jpeg

BC03C178-EF96-4628-9CC6-526EB14A605F.jpeg

I've always had to use a shorter bolt on those two holes.
First thing I would do since you have access, is take a bolt out and measure it. Compare that to the depth of the hole. It may very well be just a little too long....that's an easy place to start anyways.

I've always had to use a shorter bolt on those two holes.
First thing I would do since you have access, is take a bolt out and measure it. Compare that to the depth of the hole. It may very well be just a little too long....that's an easy place to start anyways.
Yep, try the easy fixes first before tearing it apart.

I took the tranny out because I thought the leak was coming from the cam area. But it’s completely dry up there

At least I can paint the tranny now that it’s out

Unless it is a restoration I like to I use a stud, washer, and nut there to keep from stripping it out.

Looking closer it looks like the seal retainer is offset to the left in the block, maybe the right side seal is leaking.

Sometimes oil can leak past the seal retainer bolt holes if you don't fill them level with sealer. You can see the edge of the holes at the back of your gasket.

This is where I'm talking about filling with sealer before installing the pan. (These are not filled level)
Screenshot_20200413-145055 (1).jpg

That’s we’re it looks like the oil is coming from thanks

The pan bolt holes are easily sealed with white Teflon paste. But unless those holes are cracked they arent the source of the leak.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back