• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok body guys...here's the game plan

kids will be kids.I had a nephew that wanted to help me work on my cars in the garage.The scary thing was he had a screwdriver in his hands at the time.I just told him nicely that i was glad he offered to help but i had it under control and told him that if i needed help i would ask him.Oh yeah,i took the screwdriver away too.

UPDATE...Scratches gone!

Hey guys, over the last couple of months I have been working a lot of overtime, had a couple deaths in the family (my aunt, and my wife's grandfather), and my Mom has had surgery. That's why I haven't been around much, and my charger has been sitting since the 'accident'. Well finally last week I got back on it, I was able to wet sand then buff all the scratches out, changed the power steering gear and got my steering back together. I haven't replaced the stripe yet, really you can only see the scratches when the light hits it just right, so I'm not in a hurry to do that (maybe a winter project). Today was a beautiful day so I took the chance to clean it up, was pretty dusty just sitting up in the shop for a couple of months. Took some pics when I got done, thought I would share a few, and let everyone know it all buffed out good *:2thumbs:

DSC_0843.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

DSC_0849.jpg

DSC_0866.jpg

DSC_0867.jpg

Two of my three kids hung out with me today, while cleaning up the Charger....had to take a pic of them. Little one on the right was the culprit of the scratches....

DSC_0871.jpg

Jason

sorry to hear about your aunt and wife's grandfather. Hope your mom is ok after sugery. I'd be carefull,i've seen that look that your younger one has on my niece's and nephew's.they're looking for something else to keep you on your toes.

Well, looks like I might be repainting my car. I was under it working on a power steering leak, and my 4 year old must have thought a big green Charger makes a good aircraft carrier for his die cast airplane. He started at the drivers door, went down the drivers quarter, across the decklid (stripe) and on around the passenger side quarter. He must have been pressing down hard because it left 3 distinct scratches about 1/4 inch apart. I tried buffing an area, but I can still see them. Worst case if I can buff it out, I will, but I will have to replace the stripe regardless.
I'm still just thinking about fixing a couple of mechanical issues, then start stripping all the trim, sanding it down and re-shooting the outside of the car (if I do, I WILL use PPG this time), and have it ready to go next spring.

I think I handled it well, I fussed at him but didn't use profanity, and didn't beat him, LOL. I understand its just a car, and he is way more important than a hunk of metal, but I needed to vent a little.

Jason

This scares the crap out of me. My 68 Coronet is going in for paint this weekend and I'm worried my 2yo'd is going to drive his cars on 'daddy's car'! I've already told him off for hitting the daily driver with his train toys. :angry1:

Great job! It look awesome!

I want to try to finish this body myself. Right now Im at the filler work stage. (the car was pretty solid had to weld in little patches here and there). So heres and outline of what I plan on doing. so if any of you body guys have any suggestions of corrections please let me know. I have gathered info from forums like this and also bodyshop forums.

-Finish filler work as close as I can with 80 grit, then block over it with 180 to cut out 80 scratches

-Prime with a Polyester Primer (Slicksand or Featherfill or something similar)

-Guidecoat and block with 180 grit

-repeat if necessary

-Prime with 2k Urethane primer, guidecoat and block with 220

-Reprime with 2k, guidecoat and block with 400

-Prime with sealer

So does that sound like a good plan? Anything I missed or any suggestions appreciated.

Jason

Jason, I'm restoring my 74 Charger SE and I'm looking for the wheel moldings. Any idea where I can get some. Rick

Auto Transport Service
Back