• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original black ghost 1970 challenger for sale at auction.

It’s a cool car with an interesting history.
The stories from back in the day seem sort of embellished, I’m sure there were a lot of hot cars roaming Detroit area roads back then, many of them faster and better known among the street racing crowd.
But nevertheless, it was great the family was able to honor their fathers memory by displaying it and sharing it with the world for the last 5 years or so. I was happy to see it at MCACN a few cars down from mine in the long time owners feature in 2018, and to see it again displayed next to another hemi Challenger still owned by the original owners family, El Hemi, in 2021 MCACN.
I wonder what it’s worth? I guess we will see in May.

I saw the car out at the MCACN show in Chitcago in 2001. It's an unrestored survivor & because of the mystique (although I don't see it), I bet it will go for close to a half a million.

What an ***! The guys son talked about how much he loved the car, and wanted to keep it in the family. Now some asshat is going to buy it, strip it to bare metal, completely restore it and put it in a shrine, and it’ll never be loved again.

Dag gum it you beat me to it coronet68, I was gonna post this as I just found out. What a shame it is to hear about this. I wonder why he is selling, maybe financial issues? maybe he did what he wanted and got it recognized and had his fun with it and it's time to move on?? It's really sad for me to see though, I love this car. I bet y'all his father is NOT happy looking down at him right now. I'm actually really anxious to see what it sells for as I saw a 1970 HEMI Cuda sell for $250,000 recently at Mecum, but this car is totally different with it's history and significance so I say more. I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and say $375,000. I hope someone here posts what it sells for......

Legendary "Black Ghost" Challenger up for sale by original family

It’s a cool car with an interesting history.
The stories from back in the day seem sort of embellished, I’m sure there were a lot of hot cars roaming Detroit area roads back then, many of them faster and better known among the street racing crowd.
But nevertheless, it was great the family was able to honor their fathers memory by displaying it and sharing it with the world for the last 5 years or so. I was happy to see it at MCACN a few cars down from mine in the long time owners feature in 2018, and to see it again displayed next to another hemi Challenger still owned by the original owners family, El Hemi, in 2021 MCACN.
I wonder what it’s worth? I guess we will see in May.
I remember reading that. It was an interesting story, but I had never heard mention of it until then. And I don’t believe anyone else said they remembered it. The Silver Bullet… the Royal Pontiac GTO’s… the 5 and 50 altered SS Superbird… I’ve seen or heard stories. Who knows? :)

Dag gum it you beat me to it coronet68, I was gonna post this as I just found out. What a shame it is to hear about this. I wonder why he is selling, maybe financial issues? maybe he did what he wanted and got it recognized and had his fun with it and it's time to move on?? It's really sad for me to see though, I love this car. I bet y'all his father is NOT happy looking down at him right now. I'm actually really anxious to see what it sells for as I saw a 1970 HEMI Cuda sell for $250,000 recently at Mecum, but this car is totally different with it's history and significance so I say more. I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and say $375,000. I hope someone here posts what it sells for......

Legendary "Black Ghost" Challenger up for sale by original family

If the sale of it brings a much needed small or large fortune to help the family, then it has won the ultimate race and served its purpose in the eyes of the original owner. Who knows what misfortunes or privileges different folks have on their hands and what ultimately saves them or sinks them.
I think what is really stinging about THIS STORY and its outcome to some if not most, is the fact that THIS STORY, mysterious or not is somehow now ending by emerging out of the comfort of our imaginations and onto the blinding lights of the auction block.

I think what is really stinging about THIS STORY and its outcome to some if not most, is the fact that THIS STORY, mysterious or not is somehow now ending by emerging out of the comfort of our imaginations and onto the blinding lights of the auction block.
....and the big winners will be the Auctioneers.

I remember reading that. It was an interesting story, but I had never heard mention of it until then. And I don’t believe anyone else said they remembered it. The Silver Bullet… the Royal Pontiac GTO’s… the 5 and 50 altered SS Superbird… I’ve seen or heard stories. Who knows? :)

Sounds like it was just a local street racer and over hyped by the Mopar media when the car was brought out of the garage all those years later. To have the car put in a national register of historic vehicles is laughable. But, hopefully the family gets enough dough so they can live comfortably.

Sounds like it was just a local street racer and over hyped by the Mopar media when the car was brought out of the garage all those years later. To have the car put in a national register of historic vehicles is laughable. But, hopefully the family gets enough dough so they can live comfortably.
I’m showing my age but… I’ve heard so many “bench racing” stories about cars, including my E87 D21’s that I have doubts. :D

I see this car selling at $2,000,000+. Loaded all original Hemi 4 speed gator grain black on black on black is a beautiful one of a kind Mopar. With the story of a street racing Detroit cop is better than any movie or rock star provenance. Wish the best to the Qualls family.

Last edited:
I see this car selling at $2,000,000+. Loaded all original Hemi 4 speed gator grain black on black on black is a beautiful one of a kind Mopar. With the story of a street racing Detroit cop is better than any movie or rock star provenance. Wish the best to the Qualls family.
I’m thinking high $300k’s. But I’ve been wrong a lot in the last two years. I will say E bodies haven’t picked up like the B’s. I still don’t know if they have matched what they were getting back in ‘06. And that’s not including this hyper inflation.

I hope the sell tanks! It disgusts me when someone is so proud of a car, they love it and cherish it for decades. Then they pass it on to their family their hoping they’ll love it too. And what happens? Greed, who cares about the car, it’s about the money!

Same with land. A fellow has land, wants to give it to their kids, leave something for them to enjoy. What happens? For sale sign goes up.

I hope the greed bites him in the butt.

I hope the sell tanks! It disgusts me when someone is so proud of a car, they love it and cherish it for decades. Then they pass it on to their family their hoping they’ll love it too. And what happens? Greed, who cares about the car, it’s about the money!

Same with land. A fellow has land, wants to give it to their kids, leave something for them to enjoy. What happens? For sale sign goes up.

A ‘70 Hemi Challenger sold on BAT last year for over $500k. I can’t remember if it was a 4 pedal car, but it was Hemi Orange. It would be interesting if he sold it there because of the comment section. And I believe the seller’s fee is capped at $5k. Having said that, I think that one went for about $100,000 more than it would have bid at one of those auction houses.

A ‘70 Hemi Challenger sold on BAT last year for over $500k. I can’t remember if it was a 4 pedal car, but it was Hemi Orange. It would be interesting if he sold it there because of the comment section. And I believe the seller’s fee is capped at $5k. Having said that, I think that one went for about $100,000 more than it would have bid at one of those auction houses.
I don’t care what site he puts it on, I just hope it tanks, and hopefully he’ll hate himself for selling it

I don’t care what site he puts it on, I just hope it tanks, and hopefully he’ll hate himself for selling it
I’m not even sure how that works on BAT. I think it helps if you are selling a 911 variant… or an old Bronco… seriously, you submit your car, and they have to accept it for the site.

Since Mecum is using this car to hype their May auction, I’m sure they cut the owners a deal. I’m guessing no listing fee and a reduction in sellers fee, if not 0.
I‘ve wondered what kind of deals Mecum cuts for some attention getting cars or collections.
I recall a few years ago, Tom Lembeck had 5 or 6 of his top shelf cars at Kissimmee. Not one hit reserve and sold.
Then in 2021 he had 4 at Indy, including his French export Hemi cuda convertible. That time, only one car sold, a survivor 71 hemi Challenger.
He obviously wasn’t very motivated to sell his cars, I had to wonder did Mecum pay him to have cars there just to get attention for the auction?

It should be a lesson to us. What value we put on material possessions may not be shared by our loved ones. Not their fault.
Expensive things can be a handful to maintain. Remember when you pass one on you also pass on that responsibility, and the recipient may not have the desire, capability or resources to continue the program.

I saw the car out at the MCACN show in Chitcago in 2001. It's an unrestored survivor & because of the mystique (although I don't see it), I bet it will go for close to a half a million.

The Hagerty documentary linked in RC's post came out a couple years ago and contains a lot of details into
both the car and the family dynamics at play here.
I'd urge everyone to take a gander at the video - it might shed some light on things for some of you.

Kool car, great story, great passionate car owner.

The son was told by his father, on his death bed, after he signed the title over to him, "Don't give my fn car away". (Quoted by the son in the video in post #3) Sounds like the father gave his son the okay to sell it if he had to.

If you can't afford to keep it or need the money, sell it. I'm sure the son thought long and hard about this decision. If the new owner wants to totally disassemble it and do a full restoration, that's his car to do what he wants. (As long as he doesn't make it a four door) We all have our opinions on what we would do but we don't have that option.

Auto Transport Service
Back