• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Carter 4 Barrel, stalls when shifted in to gear

Personally I would not play with the timing I think its your carb. Did you use a vacuum gauge when setting the mixture screws? whats the RPM idling? auto or 4 spd

You'd have to go a long way to find someone who can rebuild a carburetor better. If changing the timing doesn't work, I'll really be surprised.

You'd have to go a long way to find someone who can rebuild a carburetor better. If changing the timing doesn't work, I'll really be surprised.
I would check the timing, if you're between 28-32 degrees, look elsewhere.
It is a 440, right?

Personally I would not play with the timing I think its your carb. Did you use a vacuum gauge when setting the mixture screws? whats the RPM idling? auto or 4 spd

No vacuum gauge, I've seen people like my automotive instructor adjust a carb without one and get it perfect. He did the carb on my other 69 Charger over six years ago and has worked perfect since. A Mopar friend of mine adjusted this carb by ear and worked perfect until the crap parts crapped out.
Idling RPM right now is 1000, auto 727.

So the carb was rebuilt after it was sitting. Thinking that was the problem. Did you change the fuel filter also. Did you drain all the old gas out of the tank. This is sounding like a fuel prob. Not timing.

yep Ive do it by ear :thumbsup: I hope you let us know how it works out.

So the carb was rebuilt after it was sitting. Thinking that was the problem. Did you change the fuel filter also. Did you drain all the old gas out of the tank. This is sounding like a fuel prob. Not timing.

I treat the fuel every year, all lines and gas tank are new, filter has less than 1000 miles on it.
And the lines are stainless.

Question do you have a spare good carb laying around? I would try that to see what happens.

I treat the fuel every year, all lines and gas tank are new, filter has less than 1000 miles on it.
And the lines are stainless.
If it was sitting with that crap ethanol ****, I would flush the tank and change the fuel filter. I have seen what that "corn gas" does when it gets old first hand. My fuel turned a dark brown and got thick. Not to mention, it smelled like something died.

Ok thanks for the info. Still would catch some in a clear container and check it out. Did you get some fuel recently. Due to the gas shortage got some not long ago and it was in a five gallon can. It looked funny so took it back and they gave me my money back. It was an off yellow color. Did not want to put it in any thing I own. It dose make it rough not to be their to here the motor and check out what you have going on. Sorry just trying to figure it out.

Ok thanks for the info. Still would catch some in a clear container and check it out. Did you get some fuel recently. Due to the gas shortage got some not long ago and it was in a five gallon can. It looked funny so took it back and they gave me my money back. It was an off yellow color. Did not want to put it in any thing I own. It dose make it rough not to be their to here the motor and check out what you have going on. Sorry just trying to figure it out.
I only use the best in my 63 and my Power Wagon. It's expensive, but so are unnecessary repairs.

20210102_153942.jpg

So I take that is race gas. NO. Yes. What the heck is that per gallon. Oh. :eek: New take on maybe putting a know good carb on the motor is a good Idea.

If it was sitting with that crap ethanol ****, I would flush the tank and change the fuel filter. I have seen what that "corn gas" does when it gets old first hand. My fuel turned a dark brown and got thick. Not to mention, it smelled like something died.

I run Stabil and ethanol treatment regularly. And I take all the cars to the same Shell gas station and don't have this problem with other cars. The six pack I just fixed started up and ran great. It needs to be driven.

Don't have any dead animal smells, smells like gas. Looks like gas.

Caviar to a motor no doubt. Ever since we got rid of red gas and the white gas. Thing's just have not been the same with driving a hot rod. Remember putting a Tiger in the tank commercial. Those where the day's.

The big blocks LOVE it!! Im going to have to try that :thumbsup:

Keep one foot on the brake pedal and give it more fuel with the gas pedal once you get it moving take it for a drive and see if it clear's up. :thumbsup:

Keep one foot on the brake pedal and give it more fuel with the gas pedal once you get it moving take it for a drive and see if it clear's up. :thumbsup:

I know what you mean and I have done it, it's just nerve wracking especially backing in to my building with another car behind it. I would have tried it today if it wasn't threatening to rain, which it did. I don't want to get stuck in a down pour.

Auto Transport Service
Back