• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Carter 4 Barrel, stalls when shifted in to gear

Not boring and I appreciate your answering my question. I lived in NJ for...too long! Got out in 1996 after two nearly back to back blizzard years. AND the taxes were ridiculous. Not to mention cost of living. I had crappy neighbors except for the race car driver Snap On tool guy next door.
Ironworker - are you one of those crazy guys who works out on girders in the middle of the air? Tough job. I've done pipe welding school and that's not as tough as what you do.
Can't say which is worse, the baby killing damn DemocRATS or the worthless coward Repubics. In this state, the ones doing the most to fight this stuff are citizens, not legislators. Sorry to hear about your business. Unfortunately you weren't alone. When you were a pro BB did you ever meet Bev Francis? She has a gym in the NY area. That's tough too to maintain a competition physique. I think everyone should have the experience of putting on a posing suit and get on stage in front of a crowd. Maybe it would help them to think twice about the crap they eat.
This state is a big improvement over NJ but is full of F'd up damn Democrats and RINOs. Two of the worst Senators in the country are Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell but I digress.
A friend of mine is a truck driver, Bill Fish aka Driver Bill. He was short haul so you may not have ever crossed paths. Two heart attacks and he's only 50. Of course he eats healthy and takes care of himself...
Yes, I was one of "those" Ironworkers. LOL I spent 2 years at Ground Zero during the clean up. That was sad. I also spanned the Edison Bridge in Sayreville, that crosses the Raritan river and Bay on Rt. 9. But, it was all in a days work. I actually miss the heavy manual labor.
I know Bev Francis personally, and I have trained at her Powerhouse in Syosset many times. She was a staple of the bodybuilding community for a lot of years.

I'm a little late to the party...but....after reading all the previous posts/suggestions/suppositions, i missed the origional vehicle/engine/carb number, other than the heading about a Carter carb. Later models of Carter carbs are prone to have an off idle stumble-lean condition due to emission control requirements. This lean condition can be easily overcome with minor changes. If you are interested in another opinion, please let me know.....I may be able to offer some suggestions. PM me if interested.
BOB RENTON

This is the original Carter AVS on a #'s 440 engine and trans and car. It has been rebuilt by an expert, probably one of the best rebuilders in the country. I didn't drive much last year but did treat the gas with Stabil and ethanol treatment. To cut to the chase, I set everything back to where I started and have put about 15 gallons of fresh gas in it since idling burned up a lot of what was in it. Started it about 30 min ago and it ran really smooth, backed the curb idle down to about 1000, put it in gear and it was rough but didn't stall. I think it needs to be driven. If the weather is better later I just need to take it out and pound on it. I'm also going to get more fresh gas.
Thanks for the offer! I'll certainly take you up on it if necessary.

Yes, I was one of "those" Ironworkers. LOL I spent 2 years at Ground Zero during the clean up. That was sad. I also spanned the Edison Bridge in Sayreville, that crosses the Raritan river and Bay on Rt. 9. But, it was all in a days work. I actually miss the heavy manual labor.
I know Bev Francis personally, and I have trained at her Powerhouse in Syosset many times. She was a staple of the bodybuilding community for a lot of years.

I visited Ground Zero at least as close as they would let you get. Don't want to get political with how that happened and why.
If I remember correctly Rt 9 sucks. My hat's off to you - good thing you like that work.
Bev fixed my BP along with the right connective tissue work which added over 40lbs.

I visited Ground Zero at least as close as they would let you get. Don't want to get political with how that happened and why.
If I remember correctly Rt 9 sucks. My hat's off to you - good thing you like that work.
Bev fixed my BP along with the right connective tissue work which added over 40lbs.
What do you do for work?

This is the original Carter AVS on a #'s 440 engine and trans and car. It has been rebuilt by an expert, probably one of the best rebuilders in the country. I didn't drive much last year but did treat the gas with Stabil and ethanol treatment. To cut to the chase, I set everything back to where I started and have put about 15 gallons of fresh gas in it since idling burned up a lot of what was in it. Started it about 30 min ago and it ran really smooth, backed the curb idle down to about 1000, put it in gear and it was rough but didn't stall. I think it needs to be driven. If the weather is better later I just need to take it out and pound on it. I'm also going to get more fresh gas.
Thanks for the offer! I'll certainly take you up on it if necessary.

Thanks for the e-mail and the information. IMO....the Carter AVS is a great carb....very easy to tune and adjust. ALL the idle and off idle fuel is derived and controlled by the PRIMARY booster venturii's internal, non-adjustable drilled orifices. The primary metering jets and rods control fuel flow only when the boosters are feeding fuel subject to the step up pistons position of the rods in the jets. This is contradictory to popular belief. There is a specific "off idle" air bleed circuit that deliberately leans the off fuel mixture to reduce CO emissions and to lean the idle mixture during deceleration from high RPMs. There is a "work around" to reduce/eliminate this lean condition. Today's ethanol blended fuels tend to aggravate the situation due to the lower energy (heating value) of ethanol, and a lower vapor pressure, which causes percolation (boiling) which tends to lean the mixture in and of itself, requiring slightly richer off idle mixtures. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Thanks for the e-mail and the information. IMO....the Carter AVS is a great carb....very easy to tune and adjust. ALL the idle and off idle fuel is derived and controlled by the PRIMARY booster venturii's internal, non-adjustable drilled orifices. The primary metering jets and rods control fuel flow only when the boosters are feeding fuel subject to the step up pistons position of the rods in the jets. This is contradictory to popular belief. There is a specific "off idle" air bleed circuit that deliberately leans the off fuel mixture to reduce CO emissions and to lean the idle mixture during deceleration from high RPMs. There is a "work around" to reduce/eliminate this lean condition. Today's ethanol blended fuels tend to aggravate the situation due to the lower energy (heating value) of ethanol, and a lower vapor pressure, which causes percolation (boiling) which tends to lean the mixture in and of itself, requiring slightly richer off idle mixtures. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Forgot to mention this is a 69 Carter AVS. Does that year have this emissions circuit?

What do you do for work?

For the past year I've been working for a high end restoration shop. Perfect job in my opinion.
Before that I spent about six mos working in a body shop.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention this is a 69 Carter AVS. Does that year have this emissions circuit?

YES....all had some form of Chrysler's CAP/CAS (Cleaner Air Package/Cleaner Air System) emission control system which included modified distributor curve (slow + retard solenoid), cam shaft, lower compression ratios, hotter thermostats.
As you noted, a 1969 440 HP with standard trans would have had a Carter AVS # 4617-S; or with a auto trans Carter # 4618-S or a Carter # 4640-S with auto trans and A/C option. The ID number is on a tag or stamped on one of the front mounting flange faces. Numbers from Govier's white book of part lists.
BOB RENTON

YES....all had some form of Chrysler's CAP/CAS (Cleaner Air Package/Cleaner Air System) emission control system which included modified distributor curve (slow + retard solenoid), cam shaft, lower compression ratios, hotter thermostats.
As you noted, a 1969 440 HP with standard trans would have had a Carter AVS # 4617-S; or with a auto trans Carter # 4618-S or a Carter # 4640-S with auto trans and A/C option. The ID number is on a tag or stamped on one of the front mounting flange faces. Numbers from Govier's white book of part lists.
BOB RENTON

4640 SA

The Carter # 4640-SA. nesns S = an assembly number (not an individual component) A = First revision to the basic design. Usually a revision to a fuel flow circuit or an emission control system or metering system. The carb MAY have come with an hot idle solenoid with distributor ground contact to provide a higher hot idle speed. Additionally, the A/C carb has a hot idle compensator valve between the secondary butterfly valves but below the secondary air valve blade. It opens when underhood temps because excessive due to A/C operation to elevate an over rich condition due to percolation. For your information......
BOB RENTON

I would check the timing, if you're between 28-32 degrees, look elsewhere.
It is a 440, right?
So the carb was rebuilt after it was sitting. Thinking that was the problem. Did you change the fuel filter also. Did you drain all the old gas out of the tank. This is sounding like a fuel prob. Not timing.
Question do you have a spare good carb laying around? I would try that to see what happens.
BOB RENTON

YAY, YAY, HALLELUJAH! I'm in LOVE!!!
image.jpeg

I make no claims on being a carb expert and felt there were too many variables. I decided to put everything back to where I started and...start all over. Started no problem, warmed up no problem (put more fresh Shell 93 in it), curb idle was l little high so set it at 1000. Decided all or nothing, got in it and put it in gear - DIDN'T STALL! So I took it for a drive and it ran GREAT! Brought it back for the 3 point turn I have to make to back in to the garage and NO PROBLEM!! I just need to go pound the **** out of it next time! (today...)
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT! I really appreciate it! Nothing breaks my heart
image.jpeg
like one of my Mopars not running right.:thankyou: :thankyou::thankyou::steering::steering::steering::steering:

image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back