• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overdrive tranny choices

TranzTech in Dubuque can do a 518 or a500 for you, they cut and weld a BB bellhousing on it for you. The a500 is smaller of course. I have one of their a500's in my 4200lbs turbo 383 Fury and it hasn't fallen out the bottom yet...

I wouldn't hook up a 4L60 or 80 to a hamster wheel let alone a big block engine. I've owned my two 4th gen F bodys for decades and they eat 4L60's for lunch. My cars are stock and are never run hard so theres no excuse for these transmissions to break, but just like anything 90's GM they have a glass jaw.

As for anything else, I find it hard to believe that there are options out there that don't involve a BFH. The trans tunnel in these 60's cars is relatively small and it's the over drive components in a modern transmission that take up more room. Good luck with your search...
Thank You for your advice, I know that the 727 is a better choice but I am still on the fence, really need to talk to someone who has actually put say a 518 in a B body. If I spend the almost 3,000 on a gear Vend I just as well go another 1,500 and get a kit that includes all pieces even driveshaft and I do not plan to race car mainly pleasure. Again I appreciate everyones response
dcmason69

The people that speak about "Gear Splitting" with the Gear Vendors units....That may be possible if one had an electronic device that could make it happen but I can't see how any human could switch in and out of OD for each gear. My car isn't a ten second ride, maybe high 12s at best and it accelerates so fast, there is no way that I could split gears. I had a GV in my Charger several years ago. I pulled and sold it after using it a few years.

TranzTech in Dubuque can do a 518 or a500 for you, they cut and weld a BB bellhousing on it for you. The a500 is smaller of course. I have one of their a500's in my 4200lbs turbo 383 Fury and it hasn't fallen out the bottom yet...
Thanks
Another option to consider, Is Mopars on the Missippi still on ?
Might get a chance to talk to you there if it is I plan to go.
dcmason69

The people that speak about "Gear Splitting" with the Gear Vendors units....That may be possible if one had an electronic device that could make it happen but I can't see how any human could switch in and out of OD for each gear. My car isn't a ten second ride, maybe high 12s at best and it accelerates so fast, there is no way that I could split gears. I had a GV in my Charger several years ago. I pulled and sold it after using it a few years.
We had one in a crew cab duallie with a 440, so things happened slower in that of course, but with the foot clicker to switch over/under you just need to practice left foot click when you pop the shifter. Mid gear split is easier. I suppose drummers wouldn't have to think twice.

What did you put in place of it? or did you go back to no O/D.

Thanks
Another option to consider, Is Mopars on the Missippi still on ?
Might get a chance to talk to you there if it is I plan to go.
dcmason69
so far all shows are a go - Mopar Max at CFR and CMC show on the Mississippi. I am likely to be swap meeting sat at Max and Sunday at CMC. You can always PM me if you have questions.

I put the SST A41 in my 67 Coronet behind a mild 360.
The kit was well designed, components were good quality, documentation was very good & the install went mostly as expected.
This is my first summer driving it and it's been great for cruising with 3.55 gears.
Good to know, thanks for the input. Really want to find somone who has one in a 68-70 B body

I went back to regular 727 direct drive. I considered a 518. I even was given an electronic version of the trans, a 46RE or whatever it was called. It needed a stand alone controller or a manual valve body to work and I would have had to cut off the bell housing and use the JW adapter or something similar. The complexity of it all wasn't worth it to me.
Now I am considering a Tremec 5 speed conversion.

I thought I saw somewhere that the Gear Vendors setup requires a full manual valve body. Any truth to this?
No they do not. Can go behind any transmission. Just gonna need massaging of the tunnel on a 66-67 b-body no matter what their website says. I'd recommend an air Hammer w a smooth broad rounded head. My engine and rear diff angles did not change at all. The driveshaft to engine angle and driveshaft to pinion angle changed very slightly due to shorter driveshaft. All well within 1350 U-joint tolerances. I use it purely as a standard overdrive, not a gear splitter. 1 - 2 - 3 - O/D. It works great, no cutting at all. Just the tunnel massaging.

Just joined. I am attempting a 4L60E install behind a 440 BB. I have been reaching out to all manufacturers, but nobody makes an adapter for the newer split case 4L60E ~2001 forward. I am using the Holley EFI Terminator to drive my trans and Stage 3 Sonnax trans internals. Considering QT RM-9073, but pricey!

Just joined. I am attempting a 4L60E install behind a 440 BB. I have been reaching out to all manufacturers, but nobody makes an adapter for the newer split case 4L60E ~2001 forward. I am using the Holley EFI Terminator to drive my trans and Stage 3 Sonnax trans internals. Considering QT RM-9073, but pricey!
Hey this is what I am checking out, I have talked to Silver Sports Transmissions they have a bolt in kit for the 4L60E to a 440 BB
never heard of the QT RM-9073 but will take a look, the SST kit is around 4,500 but will come with all you need even drive shaft and compushift controller I am going into a 69 coronet

Looking to add O/D tranny to 69 coronet 440, I do not want to modify tunnel or go with gear venders. Has anyone done or know someone who has put a 4L60E tranny conversion kit in from Silver Sport transmissions. They are pricy but only require slight modification of pinch weld lip at firewall floorpan area for bolt clearance. I know and I hate the fact that this is a GM tranny but looks like my options are few. Open for comment or suggestions.
Thanks dcmason69
I just noticed Mopar Connection Magazine (online) has a ad for $250.00 off Silver Sport kits.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back