• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

P/S pump alignment

SinstrMike

Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, i have a 68 satellite that had a 383 in it and i sent it to an engine builder to be stroked to 496 and now my p/s pump will not line up with the crank pulley, its too far back and the belt jumps into the alternator belt, any ideas??

Externally nothing much should have changed with a stroker kit. Pictures of your alignment would help. In some instances shims are sometimes needed for pulley alignment. Why don't you go to the Welcome Wagon, introduce yourself, provide pictures of your car and get to know us. Steering and suspension isn't a good forum to ask engine questions. Anyway Welcome from Alabama.

I'm thinking the harmonic balancer is either not completely back all the way or it's a different thickness from the original.
You could take the big bolt off and see where the end of the crank is in relation to the balancer face.
I suggest you consult the builder as well.

Yes, you might need shims if the balancer was changed. I had a bitch of a time lining up pulleys for my 65 Belvedere.
By the way, hello neighbor. I'm from Tiverton RI.

Hello all, i have a 68 satellite that had a 383 in it and i sent it to an engine builder to be stroked to 496 and now my p/s pump will not line up with the crank pulley, its too far back and the belt jumps into the alternator belt, any ideas??
Hi Mike,
Here is a picture of what I had to do to get mine lined up.
(It is a repop bracket) and saginaw pump.
You can see the spacer I made behind the bracket. There is another on the bottom also. 440 engine no AC.
20230523_192551.jpg

My motor is a late 70s 360 out of a pickup. I used the Stock one. After taking all kinds of measurement and mixing and matching pulleys I was able to get it all in line. It's been fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back