• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint/prime over industrial epoxy

xs-ivv

Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
I dont have any experience with epoxy primers. I have a chassis that was primed with PPG Amerlock 2. Can I sand this and topcoat it? I want to topcoat it with chassis black semi gloss paint. (I haven't picked a brand yet)
When i look up the data sheet on Amerlock 2 it looks like it is an industrial primer what type of paint do you guys think would be safe to use?
Screenshot_20221027-195210_Drive.jpg

Topcoats

• Amercoat 450 Series Polyurethanes
  • Amershield
  • PSX 700
  • PSX One
  • Amercoat 220 Series Acrylics
  • Pitthane Polyurethanes

Just a heads up some epoxy primers recommend scuffing and reshooting a fresh coat before the next coat of whatever if it has been a while since the first expoxy was sprayed.

Tech sheet says to ‘roughen the surface’. I wouldn’t even try to find any of those top coats, looks like this is some sort of marine paint. Scuff it and top coat it. My go to for chassis paint is John Deere Blitz Black With hardener. A pint of hardener is around $80 and a gallon of black is usually less than $60. Mixes 8:1:1 with JD thinner. Lays out smooth and has a nice semi to satin finish. Durable when used with hardener.

Tech sheet says to ‘roughen the surface’. I wouldn’t even try to find any of those top coats, looks like this is some sort of marine paint. Scuff it and top coat it. My go to for chassis paint is John Deere Blitz Black With hardener. A pint of hardener is around $80 and a gallon of black is usually less than $60. Mixes 8:1:1 with JD thinner. Lays out smooth and has a nice semi to satin finish. Durable when used with hardener.
This would be ideal to use a paint like JD blitz black. I don't know if the enamel paint would be compatible with this primer though. It might be worth it to sand and paint a small section with enamel and see how it reacts.

sand/scuff it and paint it........if their polyurethanes and acrylics work, others will too

if you have any epoxy primer on hand, a light sealer coat over sanded / scuffed will ensure even better adhesion; but really not necassary

I do know epoxy. Scuffing before topcoating is a good idea if it has "dried" for a long time. Epoxies are compatible with every topcoat I know of.
epoxy - great chemical resistance, poor sunlight resistance
urethane - good chemical resistance, great sunlight resistance (with aliphatic urethanes)
laquer - so-so chemical & so-so sunlight resistance

Scuff and paint as you like...you're good

my rule of thumb......epoxy sticks to pretty much everything, and pretty much everything sticks to epoxy

Auto Transport Service
Back