• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painted bolt protection? Any tricks?

Grabbergreendream

Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
This can apply anywhere on the vehicle like fenders, but I am working on my engine. A few bolts were painted and chipped upon assembly. I know its easiest & proper to paint everything after assembled but sometimes things have to come apart again...
Curious what kind of secrets do you guys use to protect painted bolt heads?

Zip lock freezer bag cut open on bolt head, then the socket on top. Basically that wraps the head and protects the washer, works on plated items also. For the next bolt move to a fresh area of the baggie. I also only use my snap on 6 point sockets, they are better for this work. They also sell plastic lined sockets

I've used thin grocery/dollar store bags.

Sometimes the paint sticks to them and they need to be peeled off.

I wish there were plastic lined sockets available reasonably priced, or inserts to use with a larger sized socket or wrench.

I set the bolts up on a large piece of cardboard with holes made with a screw driver and then Epoxy prime them
lightly. I paint them in about four hours with the matching paint with a little bit of bumper flex agent mixed in.
Painting them right away makes the paint bite into the primer, and the flex agent helps keep the paint from chipping.
The last thing is to use a plastic-lined socket. NO IMPACT DRIVER!

I find closing the hood fixes the problem.
Lol

but seriously just brush touch them afterwards. I work in a body shop and that's what we do. Especially if you're going to be doing a lot of adjustments to get it lined up ex. a hood or fender. All these precautions others have mentioned will work but it's a lot of prep and care for some chipped paint that will probably end up happening eventually during the process. Just mess it up during the adjustment and brush it carefully afterwards

I use the zip loc bag trick as mentioned above. I know Mopars are supposed to be all assembled when painted. Have gotten comments from the purists about my fender bolts not being painted. I think it adds some detail. As you see. it's not exactly stock anyway.

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back