• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paper towels

Cornpatch MO

Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
Do you use paper towels in the shop? Other than regular paper shop towels for that purpose (expensive). I'm talking like the grocery store or Wal-Mart has for household use. What brand works the best for you? Resists tearing , wet or dry................................MO

whatever I can steal from the old lady...lol.... she usually gets the giant rolls of bounty in the 8 or 12 pack

I get Costco Scott shop towels. They are blue and come in a 10 pack. Sams Club and Walmart carry them too, and you can find them elsewhere. They are close to fabric, and good for oil and all sorts of spills.

Scott Towels.jpg

I use the blue shop towels a lot, but don't like how they seem to dissolve in lacquer thinner. I use cloth for that.

I have kitchen and commercial (brown) style on holders in the shop but, in a family of tee shirt wearers I get as many old shirts as I can use (wife cuts them up for me). I use them in stages; when they get too dirty for hand wiping they go in a pile on my transmission bench and then used for progressively filthier tasks. I use whichever material is best for the job at hand. I keep old flannel material for polishing/rubbing out procedures.
Mike

Some people use their ex wife's wedding dress...100% cotton!

101-uses-for-ex-wifes-wedding-dress-6.jpg

Estate sales are usually good places to find face and kitchen towels and even bath towels if you want something bigger. Best time to get them for just about nothing or even free is on the last day of the sale and near the end of the day. Rag quality towels usually do not sell since most people going in are not car people looking for rags unless someone shows up looking for them as a donation for pet rescue places. My X and I used to work estate sales and ended up with so much that I donated half of what was here and still have plenty....and paid for none of it.

I use the commercial white towels you get in a bathroom dispenser, they are cheap about $2 a roll and last a while.

I guess I should have put up a vote-poll listing the paper towels available in the grocery stores. Like Viva , Bounty, Brawny . etc. . Convienient on the roll, each towel clean, use them once and throw them away. No oily- greasy rags laying around Thing I don't like about them, recently they sell 1/2 sheets- about all I can find, and they always tear off 1/2 sheet when I want a full one . Some towels are better than others. Can't remember which brand.
I used to get a box of individual paper towels that had fine plastic cross threads embedded in them . Tough and very absorbent, but I can't find them anymore....................MO

I use the Scott towels. They are way better than the standard paper towels. Stronger, and more absorbent. I use one blue towel for every 2 white towels I used to use.
I never use any cloth rags. To me, the are a fire hazard. That's why the old shops had those rag cans with the foot pedal, and a lid. Think " spontaneous combustion "

I use the Scott towels. They are way better than the standard paper towels. Stronger, and more absorbent. I use one blue towel for every 2 white towels I used to use.
I never use any cloth rags. To me, the are a fire hazard. That's why the old shops had those rag cans with the foot pedal, and a lid. Think " spontaneous combustion "
Yup and that happens when several oil soaked rags are thrown into an open top container or into a pile of other oily rags. If there are any that are really oily, they get thrown away. Heck, I've even thrown them into open top containers outside to see when and if they would light off and they never did, but still won't let anything that's oil soaked stay inside the shop. I also like to hose off out behind the shop once in awhile after getting dirty and sweaty and bath towels are best for drying off the excess water. Sometimes there's paper towels at estate sales too....if the offspring of the family that's moving or has passed on doesn't scarf it all up first. They can also be a good source of tools too.

Oil soaked paper is just as bad. Oily waste is oily waste, keep it in the covered can.
Never mix dry and wet, bad juju.
Plus, keep the other flammables in a storage cabinet.
Yes, they can be pricey, but so is coming up with the deductible for the house/shop fire.

41LZ%2BWeNT-L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
212XL9cb+EL._AC_SR160,160_.jpg

For a good rag I'll by these at Lowe's. Around $16 for 4 lbs. All cotton. I bought a bag at Home depot once and the rags were all polyester. You have to watch for that. These were always good cotton. If they don't get too nasty, you can wash them and reuse.

shopping.jpeg

Depends on the purpose.
I don't like using expensive Blue Towels to clean tractor windows

For that I use Brawny or Sparkle.
I'm boycotting Bounty forever.

Auto Transport Service
Back