• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patch panels for amateurs?

SteveSS

Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
If I wanted to make some smallish patch panels, like a little one for behind the rear wheel for the Coronet, what can I use? Can I just buy some metal at Home Depot and bend, hammer, and generally force it into the basic shape then spot weld it in? What thickness should I use? Nothing over 5" x 5".

You could use that metal. Better yet, I like to use old, original metal like an old car hood or trunk lid from a 70's era car of any make. I used to pick up discarded parts from Body shops, that doesn't work anymore as they are generally working on modern junk with thinner metal.

The hardware and box stores only sell 22 and 16 gauge, at least around me. You will want 18 or 19 gauge for body panels. There is a steel supply in town that sells 4' x 8' sheets reasonable. Or old panels if you have some. Hammer, dolly, and maybe a vice if you need a bend should do for small patches. There are a bunch of good YouTube channels if you want to dig deeper.

If I wanted to make some smallish patch panels, like a little one for behind the rear wheel for the Coronet, what can I use? Can I just buy some metal at Home Depot and bend, hammer, and generally force it into the basic shape then spot weld it in? What thickness should I use? Nothing over 5" x 5".

Fitzee's Fabrication.

Go to a body shop. Im sure he will give you a scrap door or hood for free.

When doing my 63 Plymouth, I needed patches for the quarters and other small places , I got a sheet of 18 gage and cut out bucks of hardwood to shape the patches with. Nothin to it the way we do it!

Fitzee is no concours metal shaper. But he provides good solid info that home builders can follow. I've watched him for a few years. Lots of good tips. For the pipe fixture he has I use PCV clamped to the bench. Shim it off the surface with a couple of 1/8" pieces of scrap. Various sizes of PCV will allow you to make different radius. Welding the corners inside and out allows you to round the corners without fear of breaking thru. Take your time. You can come up with excellent results the first time. I repaired and stretched the rear wheel wells on my 64 Belvedere. I had welded a few patches before but nothing this complicated. Look close and you will see the weld lines. The corners behind the wheels were gone. I made templates from another car.
Doug

0407091317.jpg

0124091117.jpg

0407091316a.jpg

0910111903a.jpg

Last edited:
Body hammers and body dollies. Make a template of the piece and flatten it out, trace yo new metal and work it. It might be one of the more fun things to do on a resto.

18 gauge is about the thickness. I've make more intricate shapes by welding smaller pieces together.
20160702_145030.jpg
20200313_140131.jpg
20160704_182217.jpg
20230410_222419.jpg
20230410_222704.jpg
20230410_222550.jpg

I recently fixed the rot on my old 98 Ram. Not show quality but better than rot holes you could stick your fist through. The first mud hole I hit made the paint match perfectly. $40 patch panels per side. Had to fabricate the lower door frame patches.
When all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail. When you know how to weld, everything is whatever you want it to be. :thumbsup:

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

OK. Here's the plan. When it's insufferable summer heat you guys come here where it will be 70 degrees and I'll buy whatever and how much you can drink.

I’ve seen a number of YouTube videos of people using body panel adhesive vs welding which can cause warping if you are a novice welder like me. But I’ve never tried the panel adhesive. An automotive wrecking yard would probably have some sheet metal that is 18 gauge but I bought some at tractor supply, Home Depot or ace hardware, can’t remember, but it was inexpensive. Lower door panels can be found on eBay from sellers with great feedback, you could inquire there as well as contracting any welder shop.

i watched a few vids on tube with a man repairing rust with patch panels using panel adhesive, sure was interesting! i have talked with a few body guys they say it is a strong as welding! but it sure doesn’t have the same finished results ( inside and out )!

s-l1200~2.jpg

:steering:

Yes, you can do that. I've done it before. I usually use 22ga for quarters and 18ga for floorboards. You can use 18ga for quarters, but it's much stiffer and more difficult to form than 22ga. If you have to do much forming to it, 22ga is much easier to work with.

Auto Transport Service
Back