• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

People with 4 post lifts....

Thrashingcows

Local time
3:55 PM
Reaction score
Finally got the 4 post lift I picked up last December cleaned, repaired, modified and assembled last week and it's going up/down! But I still need some ramps and to fabricate the safety lock release mechanism system, would appreciate some pics of the release mechanisms on your lifts to draw inspiration from. I've scoured the internet for pics and diagrams but seem to only come across the same few systems.

One other question to those that do not bolt their lifts to the floor...do the columns shift when you drive on/off the lifts? Do you use some sort of rubber pad under the columns to help hold it in place on the concrete? Also what kind of shims did you use to level out the columns on uneven floors?

Finally got the 4 post lift I picked up last December cleaned, repaired, modified and assembled last week and it's going up/down! But I still need some ramps and to fabricate the safety lock release mechanism system, would appreciate some pics of the release mechanisms on your lifts to draw inspiration from. I've scoured the internet for pics and diagrams but seem to only come across the same few systems.

One other question to those that do not bolt their lifts to the floor...do the columns shift when you drive on/off the lifts? Do you use some sort of rubber pad under the columns to help hold it in place on the concrete? Also what kind of shims did you use to level out the columns on uneven floors?
I have a back yard buddy. Some times it will chatter coming down, mostly when empty.
It is on my 2nd floor of my barn, it is a real barn built with real 1882 Lumber.
It sets on some what of a flat floor, I have installed in each corner at the top going to a barn beam, comealongs, never had an issue but if it ever try's to fall it will not move.
Never shifts driving on or off.

Sorry no photos.Can't help with locks. You may contact the manufacturer for replacement parts.
Never had a problem with shift movement on the concrete floor.
No pads and stable. Get some garage sale car ramps and modify to work.
If you were local, I'd give you a set.

My posts never move when driving on and off the lift. I'm thinking of ordering aluminum ramps. The steel ones that came with the lift are a pain to take on and off and move around.

Our bendpak has air piston safety locks on each column. They are spring loaded and click away on the way up.
Air piston just pulls them for the trip down.
You have to remain on the valve tillit's down,
Steel ramps here also , travel up and down with the lift but also can be removed.
Not bolted to the floor like the others it does not shift when driving on as long as it's all the way down. I can get any pics you need.

I can get you some pics on Sat of mine. It doesn't move at all when I drive on it, and it's not bolted to the floor. I have wheels for mine so I can move it around where ever I want. Without the car on it of course.
Like Darter6 said get some oil change ramps and modify them to work. My ramps are just 3/16 step plate that's bent up to form a ramp, but they're a PITA to move and store.

Here's the stop mechanism on mine. Pretty simple and has worked for 20yrs.
First 3 are the mechanism on back end as I call it. Opposite end from controls. The silver rod runs from side to side attached to the stops. There is a spring on each stop mechanism to keep it rotated up.

DSC01713.JPG

DSC01715.JPG

DSC01712.JPG

Front is same as back only has handle. The silver cross piece where the rods hook to runs from front to back inside the platform. Has handle attached in front

DSC01714.JPG

DSC01716.JPG

Here's the stop mechanism on mine. Pretty simple and has worked for 20yrs.
First 3 are the mechanism on back end as I call it. Opposite end from controls. The silver rod runs from side to side attached to the stops. There is a spring on each stop mechanism to keep it rotated up.

View attachment 1491268

View attachment 1491270

View attachment 1491267
Front is same as back only has handle. The silver cross piece where the rods hook to runs from front to back inside the platform. Has handle attached in front

View attachment 1491269

View attachment 1491271

Thank you for the pics! That looks almost identical to my lift...locks, mechanisms, cover plates etc, what make and model is it? Mine had no tags or data plates on it, I was told it was a Lift King but since everything is odd ball metric I'm pretty sure it is not, plus I contacted lift king asking if they use metric hardware and they said no everything is standard SAE.

I'm not sure I think it's Atlas. It's a 7000lb lift. I bought it from Greg Smith Equipment 25 years ago. They sold all kinds of shop equipment. Got my bead blast cabinet from them too, and it still works after 20 yrs.

Greg Smith Equipment Lifts

@GTXDAN, and others.....I'm working on getting my manual lock system built and was wondering if you would be willing to grab a few measurements for me off your lift.

Looking for the rough dimensions of the plate the linkage rods attach to, and how far out from the cross beam it sits. Also the basic center to center measurement on the short rod, that should get me in the ball park for building my system.

Very much appreciated.

Here is I hope what you are looking for. The actual lock plate at the post.

DSC01788.JPG

DSC01789.JPG

The left hand end is 1/2", forgot to write it down.

The short rod is 6 3/8" center to center.

DSC01787.JPG

My old Auto lifters is dead stable - no movement. It’s sitting on RaceDeck and I have two pieces of 3/8” MDF under each column - which I used before the RaceDeck to cushion the concrete in case I came down a bit harder than intending. I put it on over the RaceDeck rather than discard them. My floor and lift are about as level as I could possibly get things. It’s plenty level enough that I can do garage alignments on mine. If I needed to level under a column I would use 1/8” and 1/16” Masonite board to do so.

Here is I hope what you are looking for. The actual lock plate at the post.

View attachment 1544279

View attachment 1544280
The left hand end is 1/2", forgot to write it down.

The short rod is 6 3/8" center to center.

View attachment 1544283

Thank you that is very helpful, but I am also looking for the measurements of the T fitting that both linkage rods attach to....on the far right side of this pic...

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/attachments/dsc01787-jpg.1544283/

The "T" fitting is 4" x 1" with the rods at 3" center to center with 1 1/2" space from cross beam.

Auto Transport Service
Back