• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Performance Brakes Please

Gettyupgo

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 cornet, I have plenty of power and plenty of traction, I just can't get the damm thing whoa'ed. Does anyone have a line on performance brakes to fit this so I can stop the beast??? Make and item number if you can, Thank You

Front ??? Rear ??? Front and Rear ???
Four wheel Drum ??? Small Block Factory —- 10 “ or
Big Block Factory ——- 11 “ ???
Front Disc & Rear Drum ( same question for Rears apply )??

I have a 1970 cornet, I have plenty of power and plenty of traction, I just can't get the damm thing whoa'ed. Does anyone have a line on performance brakes to fit this so I can stop the beast??? Make and item number if you can, Thank You
Have you tried to define why your car won't stop? Manual brakes, power brakes, 10 inch drums. 11 inch drums, disc/drum etc. Bad MC, booster, bad wheel cylinders etc, contaminated brake fluid?

manual brakes on my 70 Bee,disc upfront and it stops no problem.

It certainly ain't gonna, and never will, stop like your 2023 Challenger !
Too bad modern brakes couldn't be adapted to the older Mopar's, or can they ? A can of worms just opened, expensive too.

The point all of these people are trying to make is before throwing a lot of money at getting your car to (Hopefully) stop it might be a good idea to look at what you have and what your trying to accomplish...
Cause if you want it to stop like a new Red Eye Demon you better either rethink your expectations or open your wallet really wide.....
But if you are dealing with a car that simply doesn't stop at a reasonable level then there are some decent options...
First what kind of brakes do you currently have.... Factory discs when they work properly aren't bad... 11" drums can be made to work pretty well...
I seen some impressive looking aftermarket systems that are poorly engineered or poorly installed that don't stop... While at the same time I've seen aftermarket stuff that works great....
Throwing money at it may or may not solve your problem.... Might be better to take a hard look at what you have & how it works...
Plus what your expecting...
Guys track these cars with relatively stock brakes an no drama... So they can & do work if the system is working right & your expectations are reasonable..

Lots of possibilities available. Some are oe based which makes sourcing replacement parts easier. Some are more boutique and harder to get replacement parts. On some, the rotor diameter requires you to up the diameter of your wheels so they fit. Prices vary from less than $1k to OMG. What are you up for?

The point all of these people are trying to make is before throwing a lot of money at getting your car to (Hopefully) stop it might be a good idea to look at what you have and what your trying to accomplish...
Cause if you want it to stop like a new Red Eye Demon you better either rethink your expectations or open your wallet really wide.....
But if you are dealing with a car that simply doesn't stop at a reasonable level then there are some decent options...
First what kind of brakes do you currently have.... Factory discs when they work properly aren't bad... 11" drums can be made to work pretty well...
I seen some impressive looking aftermarket systems that are poorly engineered or poorly installed that don't stop... While at the same time I've seen aftermarket stuff that works great....
Throwing money at it may or may not solve your problem.... Might be better to take a hard look at what you have & how it works...
Plus what your expecting...
Guys track these cars with relatively stock brakes an no drama... So they can & do work if the system is working right & your expectations are reasonable..
Excellent points, but he never specified the particular problem with his brakes

While the thread I'm linking below applies to a 4 wheel disc system, the principles still apply.

Members with 4 wheel disc systems.....Can you get the tires to skid?

I worked on improving my brakes for years and the one thing that made the biggest improvement was installing a factory spec dual diaphragm brake booster. Read the thread and see what may be of help to you.
The Coronet is similar to the Charger so almost everything in the thread will apply to you.

6 cars.. 64 to 70. 5 with stock OE brakes, 4 are all drum, 1 front disc / rear drum and one with Wilborn disc "upgrade" on the front. They all stop as good as I would expect the breed to stop and don't feel that anything readily available at a reasonable price would make them stop any better.... nor is it needed in day to day life.

As others have noted, what is your current set up? What do you consider unable to wooa ??

"Might be better to take a hard look at what you have & how it works.. "

1 Wild R/T :thumbsup:

I'm with getting the stock system working to it's full factory potential ... then go from there ....​

Auto Transport Service
Back