• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Performer RPM - Enough Hood Clearance 69 GTX?

If you are leaving yourself 1/2" of clearance, and are using factory-style rubber motor mounts, I would suggest considering a retaining device or solid mount on the driver side.

Thanks for the suggestion. .
I use Mitymounts on the 451 for years, the engine horsepower is more than 500 and many time at the dragstrip...

Thanks for the suggestion. .
I use Mitymounts on the 451 for years, the engine horsepower is more than 500 and many time at the dragstrip...
Yeah I'd at least chain those puppies! My mity-mounts pulled apart on my last engine (approx. 480hp 440) and I have a nice little dent in my #2 header tube from where it smacked the shock tower:eek:..I use a 6-bbl hood so that wasn't an issue thankfully.

Good advise, may be you have a 4 speed and best tires than mine...
Mine is auto with street tires may be less stress.:rolleyes:

After watching that episode of Engine Masters on Air Cleaners and HP

I always questioned if it was actually worth all the trouble of installing the RPM Intake , throttle linkage , auto transmission pressure linkage , hood clearance , drop base

And then choking off all that airflow to the Carb / RPM Intake with an restrictive type drop air cleaner

What’s the gain on the street when torque is everything , say under 5,000/5,500 RPMs , and you just gained 30 HP with the RPM Intake and destroyed your airflow in the process , so honestly what did you really accomplish

All these dyno intake manifold comparisons everyone talks about over the years where not running Air Cleaners like that episode of Engine Masters

Last edited:

I always questioned if it was actually worth all the trouble of installing the RPM Intake , throttle linkage , auto transmission pressure linkage , hood clearance , drop base

And then choking off all that airflow to the Carb / RPM Intake with an restrictive type drop air cleaner

That was my thinking as well and the reason I run the K&N tops that suck air in that way as well. Downside is that you can't use underwood insulation.

I agree with the last 2 comments which is why there’s a 6 pack hood on it now and a much taller element

What’s the gain on the street when torque is everything , say under 5,000/5,500 RPMs , and you just gained 30 HP with the RPM Intake and destroyed your airflow in the process , so honestly what did you really accomplish

All these dyno intake manifold comparisons everyone talks about over the years where not running Air Cleaners like that episode of Engine Masters

Cannot believe everything you read and see on the internet.

Stock air cleaner, tall intake, 11.70 @ 120 mph in a +4100 lb car. You figure the hp. Shift the 500 inch motor at 6500 rpm.

Yes - If you use a drop base air cleaner and maybe even a shorter element -

I have this set up but in a B motor which has 3/4” less deck height than the 440. I can use the stock Mopar performance unsilenced air cleaner & base, which in not a drop base in design, and also have to use a 2.25” tall filter in order to give the air cleaner enough hood clearance. This combo gives me 5/8” clearance at the tightest spot which is at the back of the hood where the curved cut is part of the design. The filter is a wix, don’t have the part number but if you look up a common Mercedes air filter that is the one. 13” x 2.25”. The stock filter height is 2.75” for your reference.

So: 440 engine is 3/4” taller than mine, and the drop base air cleaner will drop it about an inch, therefore those two elements cancel each out. Then you are left in a similar scenario to me. You will need to source a 13” drop base, I think Mancini has them if not pro-form makes them for Ford applications but you’ll have to buy the whole air cleaner and toss out the lid.

Hope this helps you.

View attachment 1102279

Looking for this filter for the mercedes.....any chance you have an idea what genre atleast? They have all kinda of funny cartridges and such on there in my search.

Looking for this filter for the mercedes.....any chance you have an idea what genre atleast? They have all kinda of funny cartridges and such on there in my search.
Don't know the filter number but gotta suggestion.. Put a drop base bottom on a stock lid with a stock element and reach in through the carb opening and see how much space you have between the top & bottom... Cause if that distance gets to close the engine can''t breathe.... I happen to have that exact combo for my Coronet & I can tell you with the stock filter flow is restricted some.. Take away another 1/2" & your definitely gonna slow the car down a bunch... I get wanting the stock look, but if you want it to run strong you should probably look at other options...

1969 GTX 440 based 505ci stroker with the Performer RPM intake and Holly Sniper EFI using the Mancini drop base and stock air filter. No problem fitting under the stock hood.

Engine Completed2.jpg

Engine Bay3.jpg

Wix 42113 I think. 13x 2.5” it says, but measures more like 2.25” if memory serves.

Don't know the filter number but gotta suggestion.. Put a drop base bottom on a stock lid with a stock element and reach in through the carb opening and see how much space you have between the top & bottom... Cause if that distance gets to close the engine can''t breathe.... I happen to have that exact combo for my Coronet & I can tell you with the stock filter flow is restricted some.. Take away another 1/2" & your definitely gonna slow the car down a bunch... I get wanting the stock look, but if you want it to run strong you should probably look at other options...
Yup agreed. I am going to run the little shorter filter with the stock base. I have a 383 and it fits now, but its close so wanna drop it a half inch or so just to be sure. I have the drop base and stock filter with my 440 in my Charger, but this 383 is shorter so I can get away with just a half inch drop or so instead of choking it down with the 1.25" drop base.

Last edited:
16" drop base. 3 1/4" K&N element.

Air Cleaner base 71.JPG

Air Cleaner 1.JPG

That was my thinking as well and the reason I run the K&N tops that suck air in that way as well. Downside is that you can't use underwood insulation.
Didn't Richard Holdener prove the filter tops don't improve airflow?

Didn't Richard Holdener prove the filter tops don't improve airflow?

I've read a couple articles on how that top simply does not work. Don't recall the authors.

Yea I am running the factory Roadrunner air cleaner. 13" Diameter. I did some research for those who may read this and need some info. The P/N for the 13"x2" filter is WIX 42070 which came on the 63-64 Mopars. The 13"x2.5" filter which is a touch small than the 13"x2.75" standard Mopar filter to give ya some room is from a Mercury and Ford and the P/N for that is WIX 42113. Now when I lose my post it with my filter part numbers on it, they will be listed here for me when I search for it. Double bonus!

engine1.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back