• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pertronix

mrkinger

Local time
7:22 AM
Reaction score
Hi ,I installed a new pertronix in my plymouth,I thought i would get rid of the points,I did evrything i was suppose to ,but couldnt get my car to start.It was backfireing through the carb,so i put the points back in and has been running good ever since,i even called pertronix to see if i did something wrong.Everyone i talk to just love pertonix.Anyone else come across this problem.
Paul

Last edited:
Hmm... I know this sounds crazy but did you verify that it was not like 180* out of sync? Or for some reason the plug wires were on 1 or even 2 over? I hate to do it but I always check the stupid stuff... Well, because sometimes I have a stupid moment. :grin:

I did think about that ,but just never really bothered to look into it .I installed the points and just left it at that,If this was the case would it still work with the points if it was out 180 or if the wires were on 1 or 2 over.That does make sense
Thanks
Paul

not sure but when i was putting mine together it was backfireing shooting gas up out of the carb and obviously wouldnt start i being a kid in his mid 20's and not used to carbed engine (damn efi rice burners of today) called my old man i thought i messed up something major, nope, my dad told me to flip the dizzy 180 sure enough that was my problem. i had just had the whole engine apart to clean and put in new gaskets so i thought i put something mechanically together wrong. it was a good thing my father new my problem otherwise i was getting ready to pull the engine back apart

Okay this maybe a dumb question ,but if my dizzy was off 180 dg ,would the wiring be off also.I checked to see if the #1 wire was in the correct location ,on the dizzy and it looks okay.I guess im saying if i turn the distributor 180 ,would i have to change the fireing order also.Ive never ran into this problem before
Thanks

Wiring should be ok. But it does sound like you got the distributor in 180 out.....

For the petronix to work right you have to do away with the ballast resister. The resister gives you 12 volts for cranking but only 6 volts to run on to protect the points.
But the petronix needs 12 volts full time. I blew off 2 brand new mufflers learning this the hard way.

Yes i did eliminate the Ballast.Im going to check and see today if it is off 180 ,sounds like this is my problem.Thanks everyone for your advice ,
Mr

Well i had my friend over and we had the piston up at the top and the timming mark almost right on zero ,and it looked like the dizzy was off 180 dg,so i switch it and tryed to start it and had a backfire ,so i went back to the way it was and it runs great ,so i dont know what the heck is going on.I wanted the pertonix because i thought it would be more dependable
Paul

Mine when i tried it a while ago. Put it in and it ran like garbage, checked the timing and it was nowhere to be seen, it was like 60 degrees off. played with it for a hr, said screw it, put the points back in. I am just going full electronic here soon.

I think i will do the same also.Ive been looking at distributors for my car on ebay.They have some for $89 and hook them up to the coil and thats it ,Any ideals on that type of distributor

Auto Transport Service
Back