• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pitman, Idler arm identification?

62phoenix

Local time
12:40 PM
Reaction score
Can anybody identify this Ptiman and Idler arm?

Pitman; about 5 3/8ths from center of cap to hole center. Has 14-171 R860 on it.
Idler; about 5 1/4 between center of caps, has 14-170 on it.

Any help would be great; it was on my Dodge Dart (1962) but the car has had a disc brake conversion so its not oem stuff.

Attachments

• 20141118_132456.jpg
    20141118_132456.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 20141118_132344.jpg
    20141118_132344.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
62phoenix, converting your '62 from drum to disc brakes would not require the Pitman or Idler arm to be changed. They look original to me, my Pitman arm from a '62 Dart has casting marks close to yours, 14-806 R708...Nick T.

Hey Nick, thank you for that info, I assumed it had all been changed.

Do you have any idea where I can get replacement items for these? Down here in Oz they are not showing up anywhere.

try rockauto.com
just make sure you use the correct American model designation

Tex

62phoenix, there are several places to purchase all Mopar suspension parts, but all in the USA to the best of my knowledge like Tex says Rockauto. If you must replace the Pitman Arm remember there are (2) size tapered splines, I'm sure your '62 is the small. You'll start to find the large tapered spine being use more from '64 on.

In your travels if you come across a '62 or '63 Plymouth speedometer that is marked for 200 Kilometers I need one, Thanks Nick T.

Only thing I don't like about Rockauto is that most of their parts are made in China. Don't know if you can contact some other auto parts places but I've been having decent luck finding a few parts from the regular parts houses that have American made products.....with some made in Canada and Mexico. Hey, even stuff made in Japan is better than that Shineeeese crap.

Guys, thank you for your help and information.

I ended up talking with Dodge and Plymouth parts australia, who didn't have the part but did have the ability to take my old pitman and refurbish it to spec.
Turn around was a day so it would be far quicker than sourcing a replacement as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back