• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pole buildings / metal garages

So here it goes I was quoted 127.000 just for the metal pole barn nothing else now it’s 189.000 since March this years I pulled the trigger because prices keep climbing and I want to retire in 5-8years stick built cost starting 300.000 for complete. Again my shop is 42x96 when said an done will be 200.000 little more 210.000 . To upgrade my house meter to 200 amp and pull new electrical and another 200 amp service to shop and that’s 300’ to my new shop went from 11 to 27 thousand and that didn’t include 11thousand for the trench work at 300’ things add up fast and really I want an amazing shop. Closed cell insulation 29 thousand may go up? Concrete is 6” rebar is around 40 thousand and I still need grading mite do it myself if time allows or will cost 7 thousand. Again I just want it complete. I’m over it all. So now I just want to start looking at interior 4 post lift 2 car lifts who nows i may live in that Bitch. And she can stay in the house.

I've seen ads for a lot of metal buildings starting in the $10k range *(base building, add rollups, add color/wainscot, etc). All decent size, I'm looking 1k+ sf, tall enough for a lift and a loft where the lift isn't. We'll see what happens with the pricing here these days...fortunately I have good credit so I should be able to finance.
I’ve got rough pricing for a metal building by an outfit in the northern part of my state that sounds very reasonable, a lot less than a wood structure and they can erect it in a day or two. Still, not sure about the quality and others to check out. I want it high enough for a lift as well. Where it will need to sit will be next to the house and my wife is concerned about how it will look. Good luck with your project and pls keep us posted. Not hopeful my bld will get started anymore before next spring..

you're correct they are never big enough :poke:
just adequate
amazing how quickly
you can find a way to take up square footage
for cars with "stuff"

I put up a self framer. I also erect pre-enginered buildings with the Bro-in-law involved here, but the pricing is extremely associated to them as well! This building package was around $22,000 CAD at the time excluding lock up and interior finishing. Sorry about the pics, after FABO did an upgrade they went to attachments, but they are there. I love my shop. It was very cost effective and fast. Now having said that, it is only 2x4 walls and I could have gone 6. It stays plenty hot, but I could have been more efficient with the extra insulation. I went 32' X 54'. 32' is deep enough for a full truck to be in with ample room on both ends, and the 54' I took 14' from for office / bench area and mezzanine. This basically left me with a 32' x 40' shop. I bought retractable air hoses as I hate rolling them up and did all the electrical in exposed conduit. You can not have enough light either, plan for adding on if you can't afford it right now. I can have three projects sideways in 32' and one in the doorway bay. I can even have one into the workbench area totaling 5 in the shop at a time. That's too many (maybe!) but the excess room is nice. Here is a link to a thread about it. I know I could have easily used more space, but I'm very happy with the layout. However as said above, "It will be too small!" no matter what you build.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/my-hiding-place.180423/
Love the layout that's a really nice shop/garage/mancave :thumbsup:

yeah them attachments are a PITA over there at FABO

I started with a 30x40 pole building. Planning Dept changed truss load so I scrapped it, went to metal building with 14ft walls. The cost was 17g delivered, minus garage doors and insulation. With everything it totaled out at 22-23 with concrete floor and without electric. I am having the guy who is doing my house do that too when the house goes up.
The benefit of the steel was that it will go up really quick, within a weekend. There are no lower rafters on the beams so you actually get more room. Bad side is if you can't read plans or it is not set straight it will compound quickly..... measure over and over...
I would go metal again, plus wood is crazy and costs just as much if not more for the same size now.

Make all overhead doors 12 ft. wide. If your building is a rectangle, put the doors along the long side, not at the end. Make sure the electric service is sized large enough to eliminate voltage drop at that 7 1/2hp or larger compressor.

I did all that
3 12x14 Doors 2 on long side 1on end wall
Separate service
But should have stuck to my first though and stuck with 50x100 i went 42 x96 to small. Also should have went 2’ higher for my mezz i will be little short I’m 16’ to eaves. And again should have done concrete footings and not direct buried, and this is for a pole barn.

Make sure you have a rat wall not just a cement slab to keep ground hogs from digging under neath. Also, Side lights on both sides would help with not to have lights on all the time to work with the doors closed. Mine is 40x40 20 more ft longer would have been better, it has a 10ft roll-up door and10ft sliding doors on each side of the roll-up door.
IM001617.JPG

How large a garage do you really need?

The answer is "N+20%".

Where N= current square footage.

Auto Transport Service
Back