• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal Building Issues

jimbosride

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
30 years ago I put up a metal pole building. Its had a lot cars go thru it and it's a great work shop. 3 of the sides have cdx wood with tyvek
before the metal siding. The roof has a thin moisture cover before the metal. The issue is the building sweats about 4 months a year on and off depending on the weather.

Has anyone tried to control this? ceiling Fans .... de- humitfiers....? Or maybe a false ceiling. It is 980 sq ft.

Thanks

20230725_153726 (1).jpg

I had the same issue on my 30 x 40 metal building until I insulated and closed it in. No more wide temp swings spring and fall. Then I decided to heat/cool it with a 3 ton Mitshibishi mini split. R-19 in the walls, R-30 in ceiling. 3 10 x 8 insulated garage doors with openers.

Check on a spray foam insulation? I have trouble in the summer, here in MI with humidity so, I installed a one ton split system A/C. It does not get much warmer than 70* normally in my shop but does get "muggy". That minisplit system did the job! My shop is quite large so even that small system is enough.
Mike
IMG_0033.JPG

had same issue w metal roof . spray foam directly onto metal cured it . remove any space (air) that condensation can form .

Last edited:
Insulate, i did spray foam for that reason but
A87D8C19-A2C0-473F-8904-4C4984A82EEE.png
expensive. What I regret is spray foam is flammable and i should have sprayed it with fire retardant paint. Didn’t do enough research at the time.

The flammability issue would concern me.
It still can be painted I believe.
It is the best insulator, and actually strengths the roof system slightly.

The flammability issue would concern me.
It still can be painted I believe.
It is the best insulator, and actually strengths the roof system slightly.
The foam holds my shop together like glue wouldn’t change it. Those days are gone shop walls are sealed except ceiling.
IMG_2340.jpeg

But why not paint with the fire-retardant paint?
I am told insurance building inspectors dislike foam because it's hard to judge roof condition from the underside during inspections.
Full disclosure, my sister is a GC in Fla that does foam applications for past 20+ years.

Last edited:
I have a portable garage and was having condensation issues on cold mornings when the sun hit it. I bought a couple cheap vent grates and installed them on both ends up towards the top. It really helped and got rid of 95% of the condensation. Some type of venting system might help if you live on the dry side of Washington.

Having a sealed/painted floor helps reduce a potential big source of moisture thru the slab, unless a vapor barrier was place before the concrete, besides a number of other advantages, light, dust, spill clean-up, stains, etc

I was taught to always insulate a metal roof even in unheated building or there would condensation on the underside of the panels. Metal building manufacturers use a white plastic wrapped fiberglass insulation for their buildings. It has the added advantage of reflecting light brightening the space.

Auto Transport Service
Back