• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible 512 Short block

Have 3 cam options, a new Thumper ( smaller one) comes with it...I have a XE275HL 525/525 don't remember duration and I have a Hughes hyd roller I would have to dig out but I think it is 555/549 246/252

My XE285HL is nice, but the Hughes might be better depending on what you want the engine to do.

99% Street /1% track. ..but want it to be play with ponies and camaros...

Well finally recieved a reply...supposed to give me a call in the am.
For you guys that have gone w/ 512 what did you pay for the machine work? This will be a significant change as I will need to see if I can exchange my distrib I just bought, will need a b block intake, buy rods and have them sized...see if my headers will still work with the b block, might be to long..idk?
Still sounds like a good deal but may cost me more than I can afford right know to finish. Have everything for the RB... Really just wanted the 512 for the endless low end tq....my current config states it ought to have close to 590lbft @ 3700 -4700( HotRod Network build. W/ XE275HL) maybe more with the roller...
Decisions decisions...???

Last edited:
Hey Mike, I drive my 512 all over the place, lots of fun !!!!!!

I love the idea and had already bought a virgin 400 block just in case the RB didn't suit my wants... Just wasn't planning on starting it now..but when deals come around its hard to resist
.I can certainly do it it's just going to delay some things until I can save up/liquidate some inventory...
What kind of torque could I expect with a mild street build on a 512???

I love the idea and had already bought a virgin 400 block just in case the RB didn't suit my wants... Just wasn't planning on starting it now..but when deals come around its hard to resist
.I can certainly do it it's just going to delay some things until I can save up/liquidate some inventory...
What kind of torque could I expect with a mild street build on a 512???
600,,650 ish

so I got the call today, I'm not sure what to make of what he told me...
He bought a piece at a time, explains missing rods, said the deckheight was machined for .000 with the flat top pistons he bought from Source....can that be done without rods? Really accurate math??? Said he doesn't have rings but bores were sized to the piston. Said crank needs balanced and polished...but mains were set using new bearings...??? Didn't install studs as builder doesn't like them...???
IDK, I'm not a machinist thought I had a grasp on what the process was though..
Any thoughts? $200 cam, $200 bearings, $900 crank, $600 pistons and a machined block $$$???

so I got the call today, I'm not sure what to make of what he told me...
He bought a piece at a time, explains missing rods, said the deckheight was machined for .000 with the flat top pistons he bought from Source....can that be done without rods? Really accurate math??? Said he doesn't have rings but bores were sized to the piston. Said crank needs balanced and polished...but mains were set using new bearings...??? Didn't install studs as builder doesn't like them...???
IDK, I'm not a machinist thought I had a grasp on what the process was though..
Any thoughts? $200 cam, $200 bearings, $900 crank, $600 pistons and a machined block $$$???
I would pass on it, without rods you can only GUESS on the deck height.

That's kinda what I was thinking, and those pistons at 0 would put about 11.7. I know I could get thicker gaskets to lower it a little but still kinda high for my taste in this Tx heat.
I started to think I would rather wait and buy the complete kit for $2300-2500 and have the block done later instead of trying to cobble it together and have several unknowns...

Last edited:
Problem solved...he sold it already...damn I was ready to go get it...well it sounds good anyway....need to quit looking at deals and focus on.... squirrel!!!

images.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s even more expensive, lol!!!!

you lucked out
there can be more differences between two 440 or two 400 builds than between a 400 and 440 stroker
bore the same, crank the same, rods can be the same
you can break either block
so WTF

Auto Transport Service
Back