• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

post office

mac

Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
here is the story. had a restored part to be shipped to a customer. went online and entered all info for shipping parcel post and used that number to give a total for customer. get to post office to drop off package and they tell me it will be oversized which has not happened the last 4 seperate times i shipped the same item. so i question the cost and the girl behind the counter just says that is what came up on the screen and that is the cost. well i had promised the part and reluctantly paid for the oversize. this is over double the amount i had expected to pay! i get home and just don't feel right so go back online and print all the pages you go through to get a quote for shipping and return to the post office and speak to the post master. he gives the answer that he will have to look into it and contact with an answer. i feel this will go nowhere and just don't want to forget about it. the federal government and the bureaucracy. should i keep going or just let this be a lesson for next time?

They have a staggering annual deficit to make up. Oh wait nm that's why the taxpayers exist.

Wouldn't it fit in the predetermined shipping boxes they provide ? if not , Yeah , they charge more. Unless it's really small, they just go by weight.

it was a crated heater box 44" x 16" x 15" and 39 lbs. it was in the guide lines for parcel post. the guide line is a total of under 108". the length plus the girth. 44+16+16+15+15=106. this was measured by the post office employee.

I'd keep on them and they will probably give you a refund. I ship a few hunderd packages every year via USPS and FedEx on the bigger/heavery stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

They have a staggering annual deficit to make up. Oh wait nm that's why the taxpayers exist.

As long the USPS is under the wrath of Congress this will never change. Is really to bad.

We have been screwed by both ups and usps. Fedex is the only ones that haven't messed something up...I would at least follow up to see what they say but most likely they'll probably just bs you with some excuse. At the end of the day they know you already paid their price.

I agree with keeping at them. Lousy customer service is not good for any business, especially one we own!!

well i visited the post office again to show more info off the usps web site to verify my claim, but was told by the post master he will have to look into the matter further to see where the problem is. then i contacted a different post office and talked to the post master. he was given the same info as the first post office and came up with the same shipping cost as the web site. the post master at the second post office suggested that i mock up another package and bring that in for a comparison. a little work on my part but sounds like a direction i will go.

They are union workers by the way :)

My experience with the post office and I ship with them almost daily is they do a good job until something goes wrong. Then they are absolutely useless and you lose no matter what. They have a system of supervisors and complaints people that will run you in circles and then not do a thing for you while they make over $18/hr ( due to the union ) to sit on their fat asses and be absolutely not helpful at all.

well i visited the post office again to show more info off the USPS web site to verify my claim, but was told by the post master he will have to look into the matter further to see where the problem is. then i contacted a different post office and talked to the post master. he was given the same info as the first post office and came up with the same shipping cost as the web site. the post master at the second post office suggested that i mock up another package and bring that in for a comparison. a little work on my part but sounds like a direction i will go.

Just wondering, can you get a letter on their letter head from the 2nd postmaster, stating that it fit the said guidelines/dimensions from the USPS site & his calculations too... Maybe the 1st postmaster will buckle under & give your "due" refund or a future credit at a minimum... just a thought...

- - - Updated - - -

just another very poorly liberally managed & run, federally supported Union/Govt. bureaucracy's... at their worst

Its not funded by the govt though. only run by them...LOL

just another very poorly liberally managed & run, federally supported Union/Govt. bureaucracy's... at their worst

That is incorrect information, the USPS is Not on the budget and receives 0 $ from the Government via taxes, so, no, you don't support them as is a common misunderstanding. They make money selling one stamp at a time. Now the unions are another topic that cant be denied! The USPS is a open shop, you don't have to be a union member to work there. Also they are the least expensive of the three and have the best delivered percentage of the three. As a FYI, in one day, the USPS delivers the same amount of items as FedX dose in one year. It takes the USPS three days to deliver the same amount of items as UPS does in one year. Just say-en.

...and the federal government is actually trying to legislate the USPS out of existance.

Who else is federally REQUIRED to fund a pension for 75 years, and for employees who are not even born yet?

That is why they have an unmanageable deficit.

Another intersting fact about the USPS- It was established to make sure newspapers could be delivered without exorbitant fees imposed by corporate couriers...specifically newspapers that published dissent about the government!

Auto Transport Service
Back