• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 9 second or Faster combo's

This is about as shallow of a 9 as one can get.
But I did.

View attachment 595024
REALLY want to hate you guys out there racing O(if I wasn't so envious)-been way to many years since I got to race (1996)but at least it was a Mopar,my '62 dodge clone SS car. as a side note I used all factory parts that my new '63 SS plymouth came with from the factory- heads,carbs,exhaust, distributor,and cam-with the exception I used a tired 440short blockand I mean tired- instead of a 426. one piston was not quite round and was scraping the cyl wall bad enough I'd take the head off, get the piston to the bottom, hone the cylinder a bit and put it back together, always thinking one day I'd get new pistons and bore it.never happened. point being the clone turned the exact same speed/ET as the original did new from the factory with the 3.91 gears
12.60's @109. that was a heck of a street ride in '63, really loved it till a friend bought a new '64 with the Hemi all I ever seen of that car was tail lights-I can still hear him driving away- sombich..

According the rules of engagement 9.999 and below is still nine all day. Congrats.

According the rules of engagement 9.999 and below is still nine all day. Congrats.
when I had my 70 Hemi Cuda -that I cut up to make a race car out of-sorry about that. I was looking for ways to get the weight down on the car. it still had factory doors, but inside the doors are the crash barriers built into the door that are welded in as part of the door. I wanted to remove them,they are spot welded to the front and rear of the door. I drilled out those spot welds, when it was loose I put a piece of Alum sheet between the door skin and the structure, had a friend pour water on the outside of the door while I cut the barrier bar in two, then pulled out the pieces from the window access opening, no damage to the door or paint, that got rid of some 60 lbs in the car, weight is ET.

A 9 sec pass is good run,no matter what. a single run in the 9's was more fun for me than when racing- with a similar powered car alongside it just felt like two cars driving side by side on the freeway, kinda lost the sensation for me. I recall thinking -before I'd run in the 9's those cars looked unapproachable, after running alongside them it felt to easy and I wanted the 8's, never got there. but -that was in a 2600 lb Willys not the Cuda.

willylaunch (2).jpg

That's a very cool ride! Still have it?

That's a very cool ride! Still have it?
the willys? (426 hemi powered) no.don't have it anymore- parachute tangled in wheelie bars and flipped it at 145 or so. I had just had it painted pearl whit, no billboards yet the crash was April 17- 1977

willys wreck 77.jpg willyschute.jpg

Last edited:
Be tough without a gear change
mid 70's had some friends with a BBCHEV in a Vega it hovered in the low 9's they were really wanting it to run 8's, NHRA changed their classwhich meant they could not use the 4 speed lenco and had to go to a 3 speed lenco NHRA felt that was cheaper for the class they ran. they changed it to the 3 speed and ran 8.80's from then on, this let the big engine pull a little harder in each gear. seen several cars trying to slow down for class, and short shift (at a lower RPM) and ran much quicker the big engines like to have some strain on them I guess.

Drove it two hours to the track with a mild 572 pump gas hemi, built 727, dana 60, 373 gears, 4250# race weight with lots of ballast in the trunk and a 300 shot. Went 9.98@140 in the heat. I've taken out nearly 250# since and just got the new heads back from being CNC ported. Looking for low nines next year and with the new overdrive, should make the road trips much nicer.
have you removed the side impact structures in the doors?another 60 lbs to be lost there and it does not show.

Getting a little closer to where I want ro be.

20180422_162809.jpg

mid 70's had some friends with a BBCHEV in a Vega it hovered in the low 9's they were really wanting it to run 8's, NHRA changed their classwhich meant they could not use the 4 speed lenco and had to go to a 3 speed lenco NHRA felt that was cheaper for the class they ran. they changed it to the 3 speed and ran 8.80's from then on, this let the big engine pull a little harder in each gear. seen several cars trying to slow down for class, and short shift (at a lower RPM) and ran much quicker the big engines like to have some strain on them I guess.

I got a friend that's bumping 8`s w/ a 350sbc !!

I am thinking of backing out of the 9 second bracket times as it does become a bit more work. I am planning to go low tens and be happy. I go alone to the races and going into the 9's requires suiting up had gear etc. Difficult to do alone along with the regular race prep.

Last edited:
I am thinking of backing of the 9 second bracket times as it does become a bit more work. I am planning to go low tens and be happy. I go alone to the races and going into the 9's requires suiting up had gear etc. Difficult to do alone along with the regular race prep.
You can do it yourself but it sure helps when you have a person who knows procedure!

I'm still bang my head against the wall. Bracket racing running low nines on 10.5 tires and a foot brake. Just stubborn I guess. Most of the time by myself. Car prep has been long this year with shocks, entire front suspension, trans, engine all removed for various reasons. Out in the garage most nights late. But I'm glad I can still do it. 63 years old and still working full time. ready to test in a few weeks.
Doug

I am thinking of backing out of the 9 second bracket times as it does become a bit more work. I am planning to go low tens and be happy. I go alone to the races and going into the 9's requires suiting up had gear etc. Difficult to do alone along with the regular race prep.

I ran my 426 hemi hilborn injected willys that ran mid 9's @145 in the 70's mostly alone.
after a run I drove it back to the pits. the best speed secret to the Hemi was the Crane RR296 cam, (.750 lift I&E)the car went from high 10's to mid 9's with that change. I'm sure there are better cam choices now, but that was the best I had- I used battery ignition using the Accell duel point Dist and super coil, it ran as good or better than any magneto I put on it, stable to 10,000 RPM(this was state of the art then) point being it does not take mega parts to have a nice 9 sec. ride.

Auto Transport Service
Back