• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pot metal grille repair 72 Charger

JDmac72chrgr

Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
Need some input: 72 Charger hideaway grille ear is broke off: is it possible to repair via brazing? The ear is driver's side inner lower ear. Advice appreciated. Can't afford replacement, have another 1 off parts car but lower piece damaged pretty much entire length from accident.
THANKS

20220619_204539.jpg

20220619_204529.jpg

I dont know if that will take the heat of actual brazing without turning into a puddle. You might look into some of the low temp alloy brazing rods used for aluminum repairs, I used some to repair a broken skag on the lower unit of the outdrive on my boat, worked great. You still need to be really careful not to over heat the parts, because they are so small and thin. Probably a very fine line between warm and melted.

Google pot metal repair. Muggy weld has been discussed here. Bet you need to practice a lot before doing parts you want to save. Here's one video, a commercial at start.

THANKS ALL!! Too much heat & the angle that is required to repair WILL be issue. Will come up with a way to do hold piece in place. Nice to know amount of heat needed. May try on "other" grille as test.

You cannot braze pot metal PERIOD. Forget silver solder. The melting point of pot metal is 786F, the melting point of silver solder is 1145-1650F.

If you have a spare piece then send it out to an expert. Otherwise, consider a thick crazy glue or something like JB Weld.

You cannot braze pot metal PERIOD. Forget silver solder. The melting point of pot metal is 786F, the melting point of silver solder is 1145-1650F.

If you have a spare piece then send it out to an expert. Otherwise, consider a thick crazy glue or something like JB Weld.
I agree, I was thinking of the special lower temp solders out there. Some melt with a match, but aren't as strong. This silver solder is low temp.

Muggy welds melting point is lower than pot metal. It will work.

Auto Transport Service
Back