• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

power steering box interchange

rustytoolss

Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
want to install PS on my 62 Fury. What year PS box with work ? I've seen that at some point there was some kind of change through out the years, but not sure what changed/ or when the change started. Any info would be great.
Also can the column shaft be shortened , and an updated joint be used as a replacement > So I dont need a PS steering column ???

Any box to 70 for an E body or 72 for a B body. Now in 73 the pitman arm shaft went from 1.125 to 1.250.

There are minor variations but nothing that should be a problem.... As mentioned the pitman shaft changed diameter but if the pitman arm is changed to the larger bore then you can use the later box... The Early return hose is 5/8" later it changed to 3/8". There are return hose fittings at different angles as well but they can be swapped out without interference... Pressure hose changed from 1/4" inverted flare to 5/16" inverted flare around 68 then to O ring bubble flare around 73.... As long as you keep the pump hoses & box/pitman arm together the assembly should swap....

Auto Transport Service
Back