• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PPG Omni Line Thoughts?

Don’t do it! The clear WILL delaminate. Not tomorrow, next week or next year. But you’ll be looking at it blistering sometime.
I used it for some cheap car projects and within 3 years. Pop pop pop!
Don’t do what?

Don’t do it! The clear WILL delaminate. Not tomorrow, next week or next year. But you’ll be looking at it blistering sometime.
I used it for some cheap car projects and within 3 years. Pop pop pop!
Ok so it looks like you are referring to SPI clear?!?! If so then I have to ask and not trying to offend but your comment is rather harsh. Did you use the clear within the time window of the base correctly? Did you tack? Because if you didn’t this is what happens.

Ok so it looks like you are referring to SPI clear?!?! If so then I have to ask and not trying to offend but your comment is rather harsh. Did you use the clear within the time window of the base correctly? Did you tack? Because if you didn’t this is what happens.

I was answering the topic of the thread. Don’t use Omni. And yes all applied correctly, it’s what I do.

I had problems with SPI blistering after 4 years in the AZ sun. It was tacked off correctly and within the time frame. Great people and super helpful, but I don’t think I will use it again.

I’ve been into R-M, BASF knows what they’re doing.

I had problems with SPI blistering after 4 years in the AZ sun. It was tacked off correctly and within the time frame. Great people and super helpful, but I don’t think I will use it again.
Curious since I am in AZ as well. Was your car a daily driver? Parked outside or garaged?

Mopar friend, have you stop in at space age paints in Mesa and talked with them. They have great pricing and do a great job of color matching what you want. I have also used old school paints to mix and match paints. I have never used that brand omni. But looks like the majority not into it. Take pics curious minds want to know how it turns out.

Mopar friend, have you stop in at space age paints in Mesa and talked with them. They have great pricing and do a great job of color matching what you want. I have also used old school paints to mix and match paints. I have never used that brand omni. But looks like the majority not into it. Take pics curious minds want to know how it turns out.
Yeah I actually was there today. I go there once in a while for supplies and sensory therapy lol. I’ve bought paint from a previous job from them and got a quote for Matrix as that and Limco is what they ‘push’. This is all very confusing because no matter what paint or clear I’ll ask about there will some who swear by it and others that hate it all for valid reasons……

Not quite ready for paint yet…not even close….

7B30EB07-0E51-4FAA-B451-73851711F6BB.jpeg

Curious since I am in AZ as well. Was your car a daily driver? Parked outside or garaged?
It was a daily driver that sat outside in full sun. I used their “production clear” on that one. Before noticing the blistering, I painted another car with their “universal clear” with hopes of this holding up better, but too soon to tell.

Matrix makes a good product. Limco is an Omni (economy) comparable product.

R-M is BASF’s middle of the road line. Glasurit being their top-tier, but will put you in the poorhouse. PPG deltron and Global lines are good.

It was a daily driver that sat outside in full sun. I used their “production clear” on that one. Before noticing the blistering, I painted another car with their “universal clear” with hopes of this holding up better, but too soon to tell.
Ok thanks good to know. How long do you currently have on the Universal Clear? I assume same usage on that one?

Matrix makes a good product. Limco is an Omni (economy) comparable product.

R-M is BASF’s middle of the road line. Glasurit being their top-tier, but will put you in the poorhouse. PPG deltron and Global lines are good.
Thanks what clears have you had good experience with? With respect to longevity.

Something is not right there. Did you contact Barry?

Thanks what clears have you had good experience with? With respect to longevity.

Most people are going to tell you to stick to one system. If your new to the trade that’s the best thing to do, it eliminates potential issues.
Axalta Chromaclear goes down great, R-M, and PPG. All good products

I’ve never used SPI everyone’s talking about. It’s popular here and on the corvette c2 forum. That has peaked my interest though.

Like most are saying, it's a cheaper option. I've used it quite a bit, it takes at least 1 extra coat for it to hide as well as a quality paint and the match sucks in comparison which doesn't matter if doing a complete repaint.

Like most are saying, it's a cheaper option. I've used it quite a bit, it takes at least 1 extra coat for it to hide as well as a quality paint and the match sucks in comparison which doesn't matter if doing a complete repaint.
Which of the three Omni’s are you referring to?

Something is not right there. Did you contact Barry?
I have not talked with Barry since noticing the blistering. My local rep is just as helpful, but no matter what they say, the clear coat is still failing and the only solution at this point would be a repaint. It may be the product, or it may be me, but either way me and that product don’t work together. I have 1 year on the Universal clear paint job, but that car sits inside.

To add to the OP’s original question, as others have stated, PPG’s Omni was fine. Just count on using an extra coat, but I used it and liked it when first learning how to paint. I was using urethane single stage then, but it held up great.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back