• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Check: 1969 Charger R/T

The problems you've listed could become very expensive very quickly.
Personally I would keep looking.
I was lucky enough to find my Super Bee on this site two years ago for 19k. Restored, numbers matching engine...great car.

Be patient.

image.png
Check out the blue 69 Super Bee clone at gateway classic cars.

Last edited:
The one thing I will tell you....I bought the 72 charger in my avatar in 91 because I settled for a "better deal" $2800 vs $5200 for a 70 340 Cuda that needed more work but was solid as the charger...from day one till now I wish I had got what I wanted, not that the charger isn't cool but its not what I wanted.

About the firewall,
It does appear to have a voltage regulator, but it is a '70 & up style, not the correct regulator for a '69. Can't tell if the alternator is a 2-wire field from the photo, but it looks like a "round back" which would be the single wire type. Not necessarily a bad thing if you are NOT concerned about factory correct (I usually am, at least to a certain extent). I think the "extra" hole in the firewall you are referring to is the hole with the rubber grommet for the Ramcharger cable that I mentioned previously. It is just to the right of the voltage regulator in the photo above. As for a ballast resistor, there is none but that is to be expected with the MSD setup shown. As our beloved RC has pointed out, the wiring looks to be "highly modified" which also brings up a lot of questions about the reliability of the electrical system. I wouldn't quite call it a POS, RC, but it certainly isn't up to the standards you and I normally use to describe a "Restoration". Some people use that term VERY loosely, and this seller is a good example of that.
I really like this car. It is a color I would like, and other than disc brakes and AC, it is close to what I would like to have. I can do the disc brakes and AC myself, and I'm in the game at high 20s. Again, talk me out of this car.

Don't take this wrong, but it sure sounds to me like you have got a case of "got to have it now" because you're all over the map with what you want. From what I see, the only consistent priority of importance is the budget you have set for yourself, which unfortunately, isn't going to get you what you really want at this moment in time.

After a nearly 6 year search, I recently purchased a 68 Charger R/T that was specific to the condition and options that I desired. I'll admit that I overpaid a bit, but it was what I wanted and I wasn't going to blow a sale over a few thousand. Sure, I could have waited longer and maybe found a something else for less, but it could also cost me more in time and money in the long run.

That all being said, I know that a budget is important, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Honestly, you really need to listen to the advice give in post 101 above.

No offense taken; You are correct that my patience is starting to run thin, but I've stayed on the map when it comes to model year (68 or 69), and I have not wondered off the budget (not considering all of the 70K, or higher cars that are out there. Furthermore, I have not considered the 10K projects that seem to be everywhere).
The reason it looks like I'm all over the map is the few cars I am considering are needing lots of work at 16K, or 'mysteries' at 29K that might be good. Somewhere in this range is where I want to be.
If you want to consider all over the map; shipping is never twice the same price I have discovered! This has also played a big issue with the decisions.
Probably for now this thread has run it's course. I do value all of the opinions and advice.

I'll pop in here too! Lion and RC are right on. These suckers can and will get expensive in a hurry! I searched for 3 years before I got the charger I wanted for the price I wanted. But guess what? It's still costing me money! You do get what you pay for and I decided that a good R/T was going to be out of my reach at that time. So, I opted for a good driver that I could work on as needed. Well needed came quicker than I thought. But when you get a 69 for under 20k that's what you get. I'm good with it because that's what I wanted and I got it. Stick to your guns. If you want a charger, get a charger. Be patient, they are out there. It won't be easy but it's not impossible. If you want Mopar, then sky is the limit. However the yellow one I would walk away from. Good luck in your search!

A comp for you, 2 owner 69 RT that my daughter just bought, all original except fresh paint job. Seller was going to list it for 38K but sold it to me for 32K since I helped him buy it from original owner who I've known for 30yrs. Orig owner bought it at Crenshaw Dodge (LA) in Dec68. He tells the story that Crenshaw tried to sell him a hemi because they weren't selling, but he had to have A/C. Here it is with my RR.

wRR_4.jpg

Well bought. I missed out on a survivor 69 road runner in Colorado for 28k. It's going back to the original owner.

Well if you missed out on it, that's a bummer. But at least it's going back to original owner! Keep looking! You'll find one!

Looks good, definitely worth checking out.

I agree with some of the comments here ,that you seem to be keen to 'blow your wad'

I hasten to add that things change quickly and you guys have an election in a few months...who knows how that will play out in regards to growth ??
You may find people selling or getting out of the car market.

It may be prudent to sit back and wait for the correct deal to come your way during this time.
It will happen just don't force it.
Good luck

A very interesting observation. I'm interested to see how many cars get put up for sale as Fall / Winter sets in. Hopefully I'll see a great deal & be able to pull the trigger so I can roll in the spring.

I agree with some of the comments here ,that you seem to be keen to 'blow your wad'

I hasten to add that things change quickly and you guys have an election in a few months...who knows how that will play out in regards to growth ??
You may find people selling or getting out of the car market.

It may be prudent to sit back and wait for the correct deal to come your way during this time.
It will happen just don't force it.
Good luck

This guy is asking way to much in my opinion

You should make an offer in the mid 20s then start busting his balls with all the things that are wrong with it and drop the price from there
This is a typical asshole move. People like this are a pain in the *** to deal with and **** up the hobby for decent people. Nobody likes to have this done to THEM so why be the one doing it to someone else?
Why not have a reasonably polite discussion with the seller and come to a fair agreement?

This is a typical asshole move. People like this are a pain in the *** to deal with and **** up the hobby for decent people. Nobody likes to have this done to THEM so why be the one doing it to someone else?
Why not have a reasonably polite discussion with the seller and come to a fair agreement?
What's worse for the hobby is being an *** hole and jacking the price way up to rip off foolish buyers

Nice looking superbee.....If it looks as good in person like those two pictures and when you negotiate on a price...in the end you could make out well overall.

Auto Transport Service
Back