• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pro Flo 4. Edelbrock

I can't really attest for any of the other brands but I personally run a Holley sniper setup on mine the installation was a breeze the computer actually self learnt without any trouble whatsoever really cleared up my cold start problems and throttle response is excellent. I elected to go with the factory tank and a sending unit with return built into it. I also ran a deadhead setup without a return from the throttle body. Makes installation extremely easy and clean. Holley tech support is truly great hardly no hold time waiting for a tech also Tech was willing to work with me while I tested my car on the phone
I did not get improved gas mileage however which really didn't matter much to me for the amount I drive my car

Seems pointless to spend $3000 and get zero fuel economy increase.

How much fuel economy can one expect from a “built” 440 or stroker? The answer is none. It’s about drivability, at all elevations, ease of starting, better running, etc.. I don’t anyone on this forum built an engine for economy. I know I didn’t.

I’m still playing around with the vacuum advance and it is still learning. If I can get a little more range, that’s what I’m looking for. Yep, it is about drivability, elevation, heat etc more than mpg for me.

Time after time the story is the same: Driveability and MPG improvements while power numbers stay the same or drop off a little.
A 2-3 mpg increase would add 38-57 miles of driving range. This is certainly important if you want to drive long distances where gas stations may be few.
If a 440-500 engine gets 12 with a carburetor that isn't properly tuned, 15 is certainly possible with EFI and a light foot.

Time after time the story is the same: Driveability and MPG improvements while power numbers stay the same or drop off a little.
A 2-3 mpg increase would add 38-57 miles of driving range. This is certainly important if you want to drive long distances where gas stations may be few.
If a 440-500 engine gets 12 with a carburetor that isn't properly tuned, 15 is certainly possible with EFI and a light foot.
For me, it's the get in turn the key and drive it like you stole it.. No effing around with a Carb (yeah - yeah, set it and forget it, right) Spark Plugs, more frequent oil changes, points if you are old school, crappy mopar Ign boxes if you are newer school!

On paper EFI is the way to go in any internal combustion motor. The loop maintains afr stoichiometric at all times during all conditions which a carb cannot do, but the real advantage is ETHANOL. EFI and ETHANOL blends can live together happily.

The MPG should increase with EFI as AFR is maintained in all conditions.

been some years since ive had my MSD Atomic Efi on my 440. aside from initial setup i havent done much as the computer controls timing n the rest.

i only check gas gauge to make sure its above E somehwere. not too concerned about mpg but then again i dont drive like Dennis; wish we all could

watermelon

Seems pointless to spend $3000 and get zero fuel economy increase.
You may be missing the point . Whith Fuel injection. You have none of the problems associated with a carb .no cold starts no stumble or stutter no dead spots in your throttle and most importantly it runs the same every time you get in the car unlike a carb

I didn't miss the point. I have a carburetor and have none of those problems. I live in a mild climate where it does not get too cold.
Dead spots? I've driven several EFI vehicles with those.
To East coast or snow belt guys, the driveability improvements alone are probably worth it. To me, I don't see the money spent to be worth the effort. Good luck though.

I didn't miss the point. I have a carburetor and have none of those problems. I live in a mild climate where it does not get too cold.
Dead spots? I've driven several EFI vehicles with those.
To East coast or snow belt guys, the driveability improvements alone are probably worth it. To me, I don't see the money spent to be worth the effort. Good luck though.
If you have a setup that works, I can agree with you. But, for how little most drive their cars, making it more reliable and turn key is a HUGE bonus.. And for people like me, building new, the cost is small now to convert to EFI vs. buying a fuel and ignition system..

Nobody drives like Dennis, lol!
Dennis H...:lowdown:
Well I certainly was unfashionably late to this party!
Just saw it today.
It sounds like it's working out GREAT for you Dennis, congratulations on improving your nice ride!

PS: I'd like to meet up with you next 'season' Dennis.
Let's cruise! :bananadance:

19mpg is possible with 2 extra gears behind a 456 stroker:lol:. Now that's money well spent!

Although I love EFI my QF 750 (no choke) fires off everytime and is flawless whether your smashing it or just tip toeing through traffic... if it ain't broke don't fix it. Now in Dennis's case with altitude changes it's likely more beneficial.

Auto Transport Service
Back