• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with ECU

ctreser

Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
I had been using a orange box with my 66 coronet with a well built 440 using a blaster2 coil. It wants to fall on it's face at anything approaching 6k otherwise runs good. I then decided to try a new chrome box, mind you all I did was change boxes. Now, it runs strong over 6k but misses or at least feels like its missing between around 1500- 3000 rpms. Was wondering if I needed to change something else with this chrome box. Any guesses. Thanks

Is the stock ballast in place and known good? That needs to be in place for this coil.

When the car is idling, put a voltmeter on the dark blue wire feeding the ballast resistor (with the voltmeter's - lead on the battery -) and see if the voltage is within a few tenths of the battery + voltage. If you have a large voltage drop to the ballast, then this will effect the ignition performance.

And make sure you have good grounds for the ECU.

Auto Transport Service
Back