• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Progression Ignition Distributor

Yes, Fitech EFI.

I'm running my 600HP unit (30002) with a MSD type distributor and 6A orange box (no timing control), and just wondered how easy the install went for you? I see the Progression Chrysler BB unit is not HEI style but small cap dizzy, so what changed in the wiring to make that work with FiTech?

This is what mine is currently set up like. Not sure if your setup was the same, but just curious. Any info appreciated as I may consider this purchase in the future, when they are in stock again.

IMG_0595.jpg

I'm running my 600HP unit (30002) with a MSD type distributor and 6A orange box (no timing control), and just wondered how easy the install went for you? I see the Progression Chrysler BB unit is not HEI style but small cap dizzy, so what changed in the wiring to make that work with FiTech?

This is what mine is currently set up like. Not sure if your setup was the same, but just curious. Any info appreciated as I may consider this purchase in the future, when they are in stock again.

View attachment 1288926
Pretty much any stand alone distributor works w Fitech. All Fitech needs from the distributor to run is the tach signal. When you get the signal from a coil, there can be noise/interference, which the dedicated tach line, similar to what MSD and HEI distributors have.

Pretty much any stand alone distributor works w Fitech. All Fitech needs from the distributor to run is the tach signal. When you get the signal from a coil, there can be noise/interference, which the dedicated tach line, similar to what MSD and HEI distributors have.

Yeah I watched the video again, and it is clearer now. My Fitech gets the tach signal currently from the MSD 6A tach output.

In the instructions for the "Small Cap" versions there is a section in the instructions for using a MSD type box, so I thought I would still need the external box.

Clearly I was wrong. I do love new tech for old school rides. Getting rid of the orange box is a plus, not to mention making adjustments from the front seat.

So far, everywhere I have read of people using this distributor, including here, they have no complaints. Adding this one to the shopping list.

Last I heard out of stock until July.
I have had email and phone conversations with the owner/engineer at Progression Ignition, the latest "round" starting around the end of December 2021.
I've posted my over the top enthusiasm for this product, and I'm absolutely going to get one as soon as they are available.
Progression has had some parts/materials supply chain issues like everyone basically, but I can absolutely assure anyone who is interested in these, they will be pleased with the new batch of Mopar distributors! I don't think anyone will have any clearance issues with the new units fitting big blocks, even with fabricated aluminum or "oversized" valve covers or aftermarket aluminum cylinder heads.
I'm certainly taking advantage of its features in the 572 I'm having built, but I am definitely going to install it in the 440 6bbl I have now.

I have had email and phone conversations with the owner/engineer at Progression Ignition, the latest "round" starting around the end of December 2021.
I've posted my over the top enthusiasm for this product, and I'm absolutely going to get one as soon as they are available.
Progression has had some parts/materials supply chain issues like everyone basically, but I can absolutely assure anyone who is interested in these, they will be pleased with the new batch of Mopar distributors! I don't think anyone will have any clearance issues with the new units fitting big blocks, even with fabricated aluminum or "oversized" valve covers or aftermarket aluminum cylinder heads.
I'm certainly taking advantage of its features in the 572 I'm having built, but I am definitely going to install it in the 440 6bbl I have now.
Bio- if for some reason it doesn’t fit with the 6 pak, you have a buyer!
Reality I probably won’t be done by July with mine as well. Suspension just starting to ship now from a January order..

What heads are you running , and any interference with the heads themselves ? I tried the Pertronix distributor with the Edelbrock E Street heads and was a no go
The new units once they're available, should present ZERO clearance issues for any Mopar engine!

Bio- if for some reason it doesn’t fit with the 6 pak, you have a buyer!
Reality I probably won’t be done by July with mine as well. Suspension just starting to ship now from a January order..
:thumbsup: Good luck with the suspension and any other new parts you need. I got all of that and more squared away and installed in 2020.
The 6bbl Air Grabber setup will be made to fit. :)
:bananadance:
I had collected some old N96 parts from a 70 Roadrunner that literally had a grass floor pan in it from firewall to whatever little was left in the rear, and the rest of the car and its multiple times flooded history left me with a clear conscious taking N96 parts off of it.
My first big investment in changing to the N96 was the AMD hood and hard scoop combo, which I got a great deal on at Cruisin the Coast. Buying it through Stephen's Performance in Alabama and them delivering it personally to me at no charge at the "local" annual Big Easy Mopar show (they were attending) was great too. I paid more than the hood cost for the paint match and Air Grabber decals, and it's so beautiful looking! I've had a couple of small aluminum tabs securely holding the scoop open, and whatever else I need to have a functional moving setup I can buy. I'm going to try the Indy ModMan intake CNC'd to Max Wedge port size for the TF270s with the 6bbl top, and I fully expect it to fit under the N96 hood and air box, etc, but I may have to mod it for that anyway. I even have a new A12 69½ air filter lid and lower filter pan, and the hood sealing foam element I got a deal on from a FBBO forum member, in case I needed it in place of the 70 version OR some hybrid combo of the two...
That's a very long description of me saying "Even with all I've done to have a working 70 N96 setup, I will mod it for the Progression Ignition system"
Wall of Text was really this -big kitten-.jpg

It's hard to put a quantity on how much better the Progression system is, but, it's noticeable.
Runs smoother all over, easier starts, the only disadvantage is, you have to have a hot battery. I flooded the engine once with a leaky needle/seat, once it drops much past maybe 11.5-11 volts, it's all over.
I'll be using their system on future builds.

PROGRESSION IGNITION UPDATE!
Ted at Progression is emailing lots of people today:
The Chrysler NEW SMALLER DIAMETER distributor housing units are available!!
He said he has changed all the associated pictures on their website.
This should eliminate the occasional fitment issues some had with aftermarket heads and/or fabricated valve covers.
https://progressionignition.com/shop/ols/categories/chrysler

Yes, he emailed me this morning. However, in my case I needed a new distributor and was unable to wait. Recently installed a very nice Pertronix and crimped some fresh wires. Maybe some day down the road.....:steering:

just ordered mine!
Please post feedback here!
I have a friend I met at Cruisin the Coast the first year I went in my Roadrunner, about 8 years ago or so. A rare true gearhead, LOVES to talk American muscle cars, racing, cruising, ENGINES, old school style, a bit older than me and I'm 60. I'm not as hard-core "Mopar RULES, everything else SUCKS" as I was in the 70s and 80s as a teen/young adult, and there are some "other" brands I think I'd be happy to share some space for. 70 LS-6 Chevelle SS, 427/435 Tripower Vette, those well-paired mid/late 60s Novas L79? 327cu in/350HP.
Ford Thunderbolt!! 429 Cougar..
Boss 429 Mustang!!
Anyway, my friend John had a 70 Nova SS, 4.11 12 bolt, 4 speed 396/375 which he upped to a 427. I Iike the horizontal lines across the back trim panel of the trunk. Quite a ride for the times. John just told me a friend of his got a new Progression Ignition and they BOTH rave about it!! John did a LOT of engine builds, as his vocation, so there's some authority to his opinion.
I told him when I first read about the Progression Ignition system, it was as if someone looked at my deepest desires for what a carbureted engine could have, and VIOLÀ! They MADE IT!
John is one of almost no one local to me who knows details about the 572 I'm having built, and I told him I will install the Progression in my current 440 6bbl if it's going to be a few months before the 572 is ready, once I get the Progression setup. I am that excited about using one.

Auto Transport Service
Back