• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Promax. Paid for and waiting for the phone call....

Waiting to see what's next on you ride .
Working to fix the issues I'm having since Promax modded my Holley carbs.
I am optimistic that they will wind up better than before, but if not, my next (and last) move for induction is 3x2 fuel injection.

GE can be a hard place to work , And the pressure can be relentless .
Nope I don't have the Fitech normal 4 barrel that is tuned perfectly but if I do go EFI that 3 x2 would be it .ive seen lots of the singles at shows with mixed reviews from the owners .

Thanks Pete.
After the date of the video I had a whole week of drive time w/the new Promax modded Holley carbs. Something is wrong because other when I first got my car and the outboard carbs were not opening (required a slight adjustment of the threaded rods that connect to the throttle plates) other than then, my car has never run worse.
:BangHead::cursin:
I have a bad stutter that I have had a week to evaluate and seethe over.
My thoughts are some debris got through to the carb(s) so I am going to disassemble and clean.
I'll follow up (unlike Promax)
EDIT:
To be fair to Promax, I just got off the phone with them. They were out of town at an event.
He made some suggestions, I will follow up with a post.
what mufflers you using

I have electronic cutouts and when they are closed, the exhaust goes through a full 3" system with X pipe and Flowmasters IIRC. They are not a restrictive muffler.

My experience with Promax was not good so beware. They talk a good game but they do not back anything up when they work on something and it isn't right. They redid a 69 Carter AVS carb for me few years ago. Did not work when installed back on my Bee and they basically washed their hands of it and charged me quite a bit to rework it. Got their money and ran basically. As I said beware.

I know more than one person that has had the same experience !!

Like I said, if I had to do it again I would have gone FiTech 3x2 system or F&B direct port injection, but now I'm invested to the tune of $1,100 into what were already 3 decent running, cruising and race track proven Holley 2bbl carbs.
My motivation for the Promax parts was to maximize the performance of my 6bbl, allow for easier tuning (jetable metering plates, angled idle mixture screws on the rear carb) the "benefits" of the Promax center carb metering block, and the nicer flexible stainless steel braided upper and lower fuel lines. Also I figured that when the glorious day comes when my 6XX HP and torque motor build is done, that Promax modded carbs would practically be a requirement for the best performance a 6bbl could bring.
I had Promax install all of the carb parts AND run them on their dyno mule!
What I have had since I got them back and installed are the crappiest running carbs I've ever experienced since back when I first bought the car and the outboard carbs were not opening.
All I can say is I haven't tried a few fixes we discussed because of my schedule. I am still hoping and expecting GREAT, unprecedented performance. If that doesn't work out, I'm going to get the FiTech or F&B 3x2 system, make sure that it is "the ticket" for my present and future needs, and put the Promax modded Holley carbs and the stock parts that came out of them up for sale and never look back....
I am still hoping that I haven't pissed away $1,110 AND got crappy running carbs for my efforts and expense.
I did install a Carter M6903 mech fuel pump at the same time as the carb install, and I did NOT flush the pump and new fuel lines before I hooked them up to the carbs, so I'm :praying::praying: that my problems are related to that and I can fix the problems.

So... In the old days, if you wanted to richen up your outboard carbs, you had to drill holes in the metering plates. Drill too large and you needed to find new ones. I originally used stock plates that I tapped to receive Holley jets. That didn't work well. I ordered and installed the Pro Max units, and they work great. They are very tunable. Now that lots of folks are running large, stroker combos with big camshafts, the stock setup won't support the rest of the combo. I'm guessing that if your Pro Max parts don't work for you, the tune up you're trying is not correct.

To be fair, I had issues from the start. Turned out to be dirt in the fuel lines that was getting into the needle and seat. Make sure you have your float level set correctly before you try to tune. It won't work if the level is too high or low. I love my six pak, and would NEVER go EFI on a vintage car. Just my 2c..

dirt in the fuel lines that was getting into the needle and seat. Make sure you have your float level set correctly before you try to tune. It won't work if the level is too high or low. I love my six pak,
Given that I changed the fuel pump, and that fuel pump had cardboard "dust" in the box, and I changed the upper and lower fuel lines to the Promax stainless steel braided flexible fuel lines, and I have never opened the metal canister in the upper fuel line and it has a 40 micron inline reusable fuel filter in it (or it is supposed to) AND the FIRST thing that happened when I fired up the newly modded carbs was a fountain of fuel from the rear carb because the float was stuck open (which was immediately resolved by removing and cleaning out the needle and seat) AND I only set the float level on the rear carb.....
Obviously I have to spend some time with the basics you mentioned, going over those parameters of the carbs...
Thursday is my target day.
I will follow up.
I love my 6bbl too, just not right now.

Given that I changed the fuel pump, and that fuel pump had cardboard "dust" in the box, and I changed the upper and lower fuel lines to the Promax stainless steel braided flexible fuel lines, and I have never opened the metal canister in the upper fuel line and it has a 40 micron inline reusable fuel filter in it (or it is supposed to) AND the FIRST thing that happened when I fired up the newly modded carbs was a fountain of fuel from the rear carb because the float was stuck open (which was immediately resolved by removing and cleaning out the needle and seat) AND I only set the float level on the rear carb.....
Obviously I have to spend some time with the basics you mentioned, going over those parameters of the carbs...
Thursday is my target day.
I will follow up.
I love my 6bbl too, just not right now.

After reading all this,you could have went to Quick Fuel for half the price and never looked back. Promax talks a good game but I talked to "many" that have doubts.As an example of pricing,Q/F billet metering plates are half the cost of Promax and Q/F's cast jettable plates were $25.00 the last time I bought them. Things have changed since Holley now owns Q/F so I don't know what you would currently be faced with.

you could have went to Quick Fuel for half the price and never looked back
One of the main reasons why I gave Promax my money, significant amounts of money, was because they could install all of the carburetor parts AND run the completed, modded carbs on their dyno mule, which I thought would eliminate the chance of me having problems...:BangHead:
Also I am a 1 man small business, so if I can do what I do best that I wouldn't have time for, while they do what they do best and charge the same or less per hour, it should be a "win win"...
Right now, I'm guessing that my lack of diligence may have allowed contamination of the carbs, which pretty much defeated my well thought out and costly plans...:mad:
So Thursday while others are eating turkey and watching football, other than visiting my parents I'll be under the hood.
The labor/tuning/parts installation was NOT an option with Quick Fuel.

One of the main reasons why I gave Promax my money, significant amounts of money, was because they could install all of the carburetor parts AND run the completed, modded carbs on their dyno mule, which I thought would eliminate the chance of me having problems...:BangHead:
Also I am a 1 man small business, so if I can do what I do best that I wouldn't have time for, while they do what they do best and charge the same or less per hour, it should be a "win win"...
Right now, I'm guessing that my lack of diligence may have allowed contamination of the carbs, which pretty much defeated my well thought out and costly plans...:mad:
So Thursday while others are eating turkey and watching football, other than visiting my parents I'll be under the hood.
The labor/tuning/parts installation was NOT an option with Quick Fuel.

Understand what you are saying,only problem with any test mule,how does it compare with your's or any one else's personal build ? I think very few would be compatible,may get close but still a lot left to be desired.My 6 pk Superbird runs like a clock,if I gave you my carbs and you put them on your engine what do you think the results would be ?

if I gave you my carbs and you put them on your engine what do you think the results would be ?
PM me your address and I'll send you a UPS call tag...
:thumbsup: :poke: :lol:
Having them run the carbs on a similar motor told me they ran, without any major problems. So the problems I'm having are not inherent to the carburetors.
Thanks!

PM me your address and I'll send you a UPS call tag...
:thumbsup: :poke: :lol:
Having them run the carbs on a similar motor told me they ran, without any major problems. So the problems I'm having are not inherent to the carburetors.
Thanks!

I can send you a lot of carbs !!:D

56gyx.jpg
PB070472.JPG

I can send you a lot of carbs !!:D
:lowdown:
I didn't realize that you...did "that" whatever "that" is.
Let me do my part and cover the fundamentals, and I think that should get me to good, but if not I'll be posting updates.

:lowdown:
I didn't realize that you...did "that" whatever "that" is.
Let me do my part and cover the fundamentals, and I think that should get me to good, but if not I'll be posting updates.

I do hope getting the fundamentals out of the way indeed gets you good.

That Promax "Test Mule" was their selling point to me also on my carb but there is no way my stock carb, after they supposedly worked on it, ran good on that mule. I've rebuilt carbs for years and admit was one that didn't believe in modifying stock, especially the 6 barrel setups. I rebuilt my 69 Carter AVS twice and could just not get it to run right. Promax made all these claims on what they could do as they pushed their test mule. All they did to this carb was charge me 200 bucks for a simple rebuild that worked no different than when I first gave it to them. Then would not back it up. This happened 6 or 7 years ago and as time has gone on, I've ran across too many similar stories from people and Promax. Sorry to be so negative but these guys are not good for the hobby.

I have the Promax block on my six pack set up and it works great. I did have problems initially with the power valve hitting the carb body and not allowing the bowl to tighten properly. There instructions suggest to remove material for clearance and the problem was gone. The interference caused fuel to leak from the bowl down the center of carb into the intake creating a very rich condition.

I bought the Promax jettable plates, billet metering plate, and the rear base plate about 13 years ago and have no problems. He set up the center metering plate with the emulsion plugs and all. The car runs great. The only problem that i had was talking to Ben. At first he would give me advice on different settings with jets and now he is in a rush to talk to you so he can get off the phone.

Thanks guys...
SWMBO is off work this weekend, so I won't be under the hood.
Maybe during the week I can find some time, definitely next weekend!
Look for significant progress in a follow up!

Auto Transport Service
Back