• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Promax. Paid for and waiting for the phone call....

Actually the practical guarantee of maximum performance is what has my interest.

sorry to hear of your problems,,when i had my '71 barracuda with a 440 6-pak i went thru the same things,,pro max meter blocks,drilling bleed holes,vacuum 2nd springs etc,,dam thing had a mind of its own when vacuum started opening up the outboards,,then i discovered holley/direct connection some where around 1970 made mechanical secondary's 6-pak carbs,,i put those on and away i went,,,money well spent..it was like a triple pumper! and those outboards did not open unless my right foot said so!,,,FYI..on ebay right now,,i did not pay that much but mine were not NOS..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-440-...505575?hash=item5466b6bfe7:g:~tUAAOSwjrFb919O

Thanks for the reply. Before I sent them off, the only problem I had with the outboard carbs opening was when I first got the car. I made a minor adjustment to the "throttle plate actuator rods" and lubricated the eyes and clips that hold the rods in place and that was it! No matter how I worked the throttle, whether I stomped it from a dead stop or ever so gradually eased into the throttle, and all points in between, the outboard carbs opened without a flaw, at all, whatsoever. No bog, no stumbling, nothing but a SURGE of POWER.
Now when I get on the gas from a roll I can feel the hesitation every time.
I still need to spend time under the hood to be fair. I've been working so much I haven't done much toward resolving the problem.
I definitely will follow up!
If I don't get to a point of satisfaction with these, even if it means reinstalling my stock parts, the next move is 3x2 throttle body injection.

Unfortunately, no. Something has kept me from getting back on the carbs since October. Mostly business.
Thanks for asking.

Update.
I found braid clippings from the fuel lines in my metering block.
I should have flushed the lines first.
Engine runs much better. I need to try different, probably larger jets in the outboard carbs metering plates.

did that get rid of the hesitation or was more tuning required?' I'm having the same problem since installing the sec. adj. metering plates

"I know this is a year old thread"

Once I flushed out the metering block (and everything else) it runs great.
Slivers of steel braid occupying tiny holes that fuel are supposed to flow through in the metering block will cause trouble, every time...

Is Promax even still in business??

ok thanks for the update. On mine when I install he Promax plates I get the hesitation, reinstall og plates hesitation gone., no braided line on mine but if I do purchase one I'll be sure to flush it first.

Is Promax even still in business??
YES, very much so. I spoke with Ben a couple of days ago. Good, knowledgeable guy, good products, and if you need service, they can provide labor too.
Very happy they are available!

Actually, they totally ripped me off a couple of years ago so I have no plans of using their service.

Good, knowledgeable guy, good products, and if you need service, they can provide labor too. Very happy they are available!
Actually, they totally ripped me off a couple of years ago so I have no plans of using their service.
So I have a whole thread describing the roller coaster I rode, but ultimately I take responsibility for not having flushed the new braided fuel lines. I would have preferred better communication, but Ben seems to be close to a one man band. He did a good job on what he worked on, and just recently, a couple of days ago, gave some welcome tech advice.
It's up to you whether or not you say "why" you have a problem with Promax, but my experiences are well documented.

So I have a whole thread describing the roller coaster I rode, but ultimately I take responsibility for not having flushed the new braided fuel lines. I would have preferred better communication, but Ben seems to be close to a one man band. He did a good job on what he worked on, and just recently, a couple of days ago, gave some welcome tech advice.
It's up to you whether or not you say "why" you have a problem with Promax, but my experiences are well documented.

My problem is well documented on this post back in Oct 2018. Ben was the contact and he did as I said, washed his hands of a 1969 AVS I was trying to get going for my 69 Super Bee. Ben claims after working on it they put that carb on their dyno and ran it. I put the carb on my 69 and it ran so bad it shot flames out the exhaust, back firing. Had to put my Holley back on. Good James Dean flamethrower car but not what I was looking for. Even tried to talk to Ben at the 2017 Mopar Nationals to give him another shot at making it right and he basically had no interest in that. I understand all businesses cannot always make everyone happy but at least acknowledge you did not have the expertise to fix the issue and refund my money. Ben would not. I was also always cordial in my communication with him. As I said before, beware of Promax.

Auto Transport Service
Back