Promax. Paid for and waiting for the phone call....

A12 Mopar Discussions

1. stage3

stage3 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:41 AM
    sorry to hear of your problems,,when i had my '71 barracuda with a 440 6-pak i went thru the same things,,pro max meter blocks,drilling bleed holes,vacuum 2nd springs etc,,dam thing had a mind of its own when vacuum started opening up the outboards,,then i discovered holley/direct connection some where around 1970 made mechanical secondary's 6-pak carbs,,i put those on and away i went,,,money well spent..it was like a triple pumper! and those outboards did not open unless my right foot said so!,,,FYI..on ebay right now,,i did not pay that much but mine were not NOS..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-440-...505575?hash=item5466b6bfe7:g:~tUAAOSwjrFb919O

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • biomedtechguy

biomedtechguy FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      9:41 AM
      Thanks for the reply. Before I sent them off, the only problem I had with the outboard carbs opening was when I first got the car. I made a minor adjustment to the "throttle plate actuator rods" and lubricated the eyes and clips that hold the rods in place and that was it! No matter how I worked the throttle, whether I stomped it from a dead stop or ever so gradually eased into the throttle, and all points in between, the outboard carbs opened without a flaw, at all, whatsoever. No bog, no stumbling, nothing but a SURGE of POWER.
      Now when I get on the gas from a roll I can feel the hesitation every time.
      I still need to spend time under the hood to be fair. I've been working so much I haven't done much toward resolving the problem.
      I definitely will follow up!
      If I don't get to a point of satisfaction with these, even if it means reinstalling my stock parts, the next move is 3x2 throttle body injection.

• 70sixpkrt

70sixpkrt Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Any update?

• biomedtechguy

Local Time:
      Unfortunately, no. Something has kept me from getting back on the carbs since October. Mostly business.
      Thanks for asking.

• biomedtechguy

Local Time:
      Update.
      I found braid clippings from the fuel lines in my metering block.
      I should have flushed the lines first.
      Engine runs much better. I need to try different, probably larger jets in the outboard carbs metering plates.

• Like Like x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.