• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proven 440 combos

'52/340...I need some guidance on sorting out the pile of parts I have, in the quest to build a 440 for my project 67 Coronet. What I have on hand for parts are two 440 engines. One is a 1973 car engine, .030 over, .010 under on the journals, forged crank, "346" heads, wiped Crane cam due to stuck lifter, flat top L2266 TRW pistons and LY rods, and one bore that has been hand cross hatched by a gorilla and has deep scoring.. The other is a bone stock 1974 MH motor with a double chain, figure 8 cooling, sewer drain water pump housing, Sixpack rods, forged crank, flat top stock pistons, "452" heads. Both sport stock valve trains. The crank on the 73 is needing remachined due to cam wipe out. The crank in the 74 is pristine.
Also have an M1 single plane, 750 CFM elec choke double pumper, Comp Cam CL 21-306-4 and lifters, a Mallery Unilite dizzy w/ vac advance, block hugger headers, 3" exhaust, a set of fully machined and prepped /assembled "516" heads
My desired goal with all this mess is 400+ hp and TQ.
What I need is a recipe to reach this goal using the parts I have if possible, and recommendations of what to swap out if not.
I'm about to send one of the blocks up to Vermont Engine for machining. What should I tell him to do to that block, and which block should I send?
Thanks for you guys help and wisdom. Ghost.

So, is this what your trying to tell me?
Decked and then bored +.030" and honed with a torque plate.
Stock replacement cast pistons. 346 heads with hard exhaust seats, 2.14/1.81 valves and flowing.
Camshaft is the Summit 6400, 214/224 @ .050, 444"/466" @ 1.5:1
New, take off, 440 Source valve springs set at 120# seat, 240# @ .450" lift
Comp 10 degree retainers and locks.
Standard Sealed Power oil pump 45 psi hot oil pressure at 750 rpm idle and 75 psi @ 5200 rpm.
Stock 1972 400 distributor recurved. 18 degrees initial 37 degrees total @ 2500 rpm.
And used our dyno headers.

If so, then what I got from this is .030, decked, honed, the 74 crank, the 73 .030 pistons and LY rods, the 452 heads because of the seats being already hardened,or are the 346 also already hardened, the cam I have, Comp 10* retainers & locks, the valve springs, the Mallery distributer, and my block headers?? The porting for flow increases, stock pushrods, stock oil pump? or do I have to buy one? New rings, main and rod and cam bearings. Gasket set, assembly lube. Torque wrench.

What about the intake, M1 single plane, and the 750 carb? Will i need more carb? A dual plane instead?

Flat top 440, close to or right at zero deck, with some rpm or rpm copycat heads flowing in the 270’s+, rpm/m1/sd/tm7/Torker II, 850/950 carb, 1-7/8” or 2” headers, [email protected] cam........ will get you into that 500hp range on pump gas.
I’ve done it many times with variations of that same theme.

Auto Transport Service
Back