• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proven 440 combos

Dallasdrifts

Local time
6:39 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys I've seen on the challenger forum they do a lot of posts for proven engine combos.
So guys list there mods on the engine with the dyno results. I'm curious what we got here.

Sounds like a great idea, there are a few threads similar in nature but they seem to be geared toward drag racing....Post you 10/11 sec combos. Good stuff but a bunch of extra variables thrown into the mix.

Yeah hopefully since this is engine specific it takes out a the variables like gearing and weight to just see what guys are building there motors to and the results

Subscribed! Great thread idea. I'm about to build a short block for a good running but low compression 440 soon. Let's hear some!

I'm close (3 months to start). Have to get daughter through last semester of college then I start the build. Got the block from a rock and roll star on this forum.

I just finished a new shortblock for my 67 gtx.
440 bored 30 over
Trw l2295 domed Pistons
Ly rods with arp bolts
Steel crank 10 under
New profile mopar 509 cam with 114 lsa
Rpm heads
Torker
800 dbl pumper

Very happy so far, drivability is awesome with the new mopar cam. Still fine tuning.

I would have sworn there used to be a proven combos thread on this forum. there was a user firefighter... something that had tons of builds he shared. It’s been a while since i’ve been in here.

Wow, this thread came back from the dead, eh?
For what it's worth, I built a street/strip 440 last year.
Stock stroke, .030 over, icon pistons
Trick flow 240 heads
Bullet mild hydraulic 235/239 @ .050
.490/492 lift
Tti headers
Street dominator with Holley 850 dp
Has gone 7.70 @ 92mph in the 1/8 mile.
All steel 65 bel 2 with full exhaust on drag radials
Great street manners. About to add a mopar .557 solid cam.
Got the racing bug again......:thumbsup:

LOTS of proven(with Dyno Sheets) BB Mopar builds posted over at dodgecharger.com in the Engine section.

I also have posted up a few over there, including a series of lowly .030 and .060 over 440 builds we did using Hyd Flat Tappet Cams, Dual Plane Intakes, Pump Gas type "street" Engines up to 550hp, pretty 'KISS" method builds (Keep It Simple Stupid)
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106687.0.html

And if you want to go through the entire "Proven Engine Combo's Section" itself with Dyno Sheets look here:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/board,30.0.html

Last edited:
Yeah, pay attention to the builds by Challenger340, 'cause that is some really good stuff.

#1;
10-1 TRW pistons, rebuilt LY rods, .557 purple cam, box stock Eddy heads, deep pan, CH28 dual Eddy 600s, 4.10, good convertor, 9x28 slicks, 65 Belvedere. Runs 11.30@115 on pump gas.
12-1 Ross pistons,rebuilt LY rods. 590 purple cam, bowl job Eddy heads. Torker,
850 Holley, 4.56, good converter, 10.5x29.5, 69 GTX. 10.90s@123.
Both cars have scoops, (hemi/6pac). Both are full weight full interior, no electric water pump.
Doug

#1;
10-1 TRW pistons, rebuilt LY rods, .557 purple cam, box stock Eddy heads, deep pan, CH28 dual Eddy 600s, 4.10, good convertor, 9x28 slicks, 65 Belvedere. Runs 11.30@115 on pump gas.
12-1 Ross pistons,rebuilt LY rods. 590 purple cam, bowl job Eddy heads. Torker,
850 Holley, 4.56, good converter, 10.5x29.5, 69 GTX. 10.90s@123.
Both cars have scoops, (hemi/6pac). Both are full weight full interior, no electric water pump.
Doug

Your number one build is making me feel pretty good about my choices. And in the same car! Pretty similar. Hope I can hit my 11.50 goal!

I run a modified version of the old "511HP" 440 recipe:

+.030" L2355F "6pack" TRW pistons, fitted at .004" clearance.
Stock LY rods with ARP bolts, resized.
Steel 1973 crank, .010/.010" with full groove main bearings/CL77 rod bearings.
"902" heads (same as 346/452, smoggers), ported and polished, 2.14x1.81" valves.
Comp #925 double springs, 10* retainers and locks. Crane 1.5 iron rockers.
Custom Comp XE/HL grind cam: 285/301 dur, 241/[email protected]"dur, .546" lift, 112LSA.
Comp anti-pump-up lifters, Crane cup/ball pushrods.
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Holley HP950 carb, 1" HVH tapered spacer.
1 3/4" Hedman shorty (E-body) headers with 2.5" collectors (fit perfectly).
2.5" exhaust with "H" pipe, Terminator mufflers and 24" Thrush resonators.

Runs high 12's in my 5300 pound (with me aboard) '76 Gran Fury wagon, with 29.5" drag radials and 4.56 gears in the 9.25" rear, the 11" 2500 stall converter flashes over 3200 due to the weight.
5300.jpg

The drivetrain in the '65 Coronet I bought was already done by the previous owners - it looked a little wild for what I was looking for - a good street cruiser to have fun with, but I took a chance on it and it's perfect for what I wanted.

The engine is a 440 bored .030" over fitted with JE pistons at around 10.5:1, Eagle crank, LY rods. Edelbrock heads ported and polished, angled valve job mated to an Edelbrock Victor manifold and a set of Hooker headers. Camshaft is a Lunati - 'drag race' cam - hydraulic flat tappet - .250/.255 duration @.050" - .540" lift. Ignition is MOPAR electronic - which I'm about to upgrade to an MSD box. I've put a BeCool aluminum radiator on it with a Mancini Racing aluminum water pump housing and high volume pump. My stock cast iron one had the beginning of a crack in it right under the thermostat - so I switched it out. I also put in a high volume 180 degree thermostat - a Robert Shaw type as opposed to a Stant. I added a fan spacer to get the blades about 3/4" from the radiator. The previous owner had an electric fan mounted on the front of the stock radiator, which I will reinstall on the aluminum one - no overheating problems except for idling in traffic for extended periods - and this is with no fan shroud - so the added cooling from the electric fan should take care of that - it's already wired with a toggle switch on the dash.

This is coupled to a 727 automatic reverse manual valve body transmission with a 3500 stall converter and a 4.10 sure-grip 8.75" rear differential. Previous owners did run this car on the strip - said with race fuel and 4.56 gears in the rear end, it would run in the 7.30s. He said it will run on pump gas, which is what I've been putting in it, but if you want to see it get up and go, put some race fuel in it....

This car pulls strong right off of the light and there is no flat spots apparent in the acceleration - the only thing I would complain about it with the gearing, it's not a highway cruiser, but you can't have everything. I've got a Dodge that's quick and noisy, turns some heads, smokes the tires easily, and looks good at the car show and cruising around town, which is what I was looking for. As the song says 'Loving every minute of it'!

Your number one build is making me feel pretty good about my choices. And in the same car! Pretty similar. Hope I can hit my 11.50 goal!
This car has been together for years. The Eddy heads were installed 2 years ago. Previously had home ported 906. Ran 11.50-60's
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back