• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PTC or Dynamic torque converter or?????

I paid $550 for my 9.5 PTC 2 years ago. I had used Dynamic in my duster and then my 64 worked great. I put new motor in 64 ordered from Dynamic Sean said I got 1 free stall adjustment. The new one stalled to low. I called to send back Sean said shipping would be $200. And he really had an attitude. So I sent new Dynamic to PTC he adjusted it for $200 sent it back with in a week and it stalled exactly what e said it would. So my last 2 are from PTC

If your near Cleveland check out Perfect Converter as well. A bunch of N/SS guys run them. I had them repair one of mine. Work was spot on, quick, reasonably priced.
Doug

I paid $550 for my 9.5 PTC 2 years ago. I had used Dynamic in my duster and then my 64 worked great. I put new motor in 64 ordered from Dynamic Sean said I got 1 free stall adjustment. The new one stalled to low. I called to send back Sean said shipping would be $200. And he really had an attitude. So I sent new Dynamic to PTC he adjusted it for $200 sent it back with in a week and it stalled exactly what e said it would. So my last 2 are from PTC

I can understand why you went with PTC then if that happened to you. I will admit its been a few years since I bought a converter. But it does surprise me that Sean had an attitude as he was always very pleasant with me and treated me good. But it is true that some seem to get better service with some companies then others. I mean when someone ask .....Hey what converter should I use ? It seems some say one company treated them good and others say they treated them like crap ? Is it just catching someone on a bad day ? Because thats wrong as anyone who deals with people in their job should always treat everyone nice. Sorry to hear you had a bad time with Sean as he always was kind to me but it has been some years since I dealt with him and Dynamic. And I have always been very happy with my converter as they hit it perfect for my mld street car for me. And I will say I usually always hear good about PTC as only once did I hear a guy not like them but we all know you can never make everyone happy as some people are just that way. Glad to hear your PTC is working good for you. Ron

I think Dynamic has a great product. I'm sure I caught Sean on a bad day. I worked in an auto parts store for 13 years so I understand it. Frank sold me 2 convertors that were exactly what he said they would be. The third one was just off a little it happens. Both companies have a good product

I’ve had good luck with my Coans. I called them and ordered a new one for my turbo combo. I had it in 4 days and picked up .3 in the 1/8 mile right off the trailer.

If your near Cleveland check out Perfect Converter as well. A bunch of N/SS guys run them. I had them repair one of mine. Work was spot on, quick, reasonably priced.
Doug

I'm torn between PTC and Dynamic 9.5" steet/strip converters. I get that Dynamic has been in the "Mopar game" for many many years and that all the new "guns" seem to be running PTC ...and PTC gear is well worn on Fastest street cars TV show.

In the limited cases where we've needed service. PTC is far better. Kenny Ford at PTC is a Mopar guy.
Doug

Doug
Just did exactly that Doug. Bubba was great to work with. Picked converter last week. Won't know how it works until next summer some time.
I know a few friends running one and they ar very pleased with the performance.

PTC all the way. I've dealt with PTC 3 times and Dynamic once. I'm a very satisfied PTC customer. Dynamic not so much.

I'm no converter expert, but make sure your motor really will support a 9.5" converter instead of a larger stock 10.5" or 11". I have a mild street/strip 12.8 second 451 ci motor with a pretty mild cam. Street driven 90% of the time, only a few track visits per year. Dynamic adamantly prescribed and sold me a 9.5" converter with 3800 stall. It drove like crap on the street. Luckily after 3 back and forth phone calls I got passed up the chain and Dynamic gave me a 80% refund so not a total loss, but it took major effort on my part for the agent to let me talk to the owner. PTC on the other hand told me my setup didn't warrant a 9.5" and got me set up with a 10.5" with lower stall. It works like a dream on both street and strip and they were super upbeat and helpful over the phone. I even sent it back a few years later to change the stall by just a few hundred RPM and it came back exactly as requested.

PTC for the win!

I can say my son and I have gotten great performance with our Dynamin 9.5 converters. What I like alot about them is how they drive like a normal converter on the street yet work good at the track. My sons Dart was a mild 400 eng with Eddy RPM heads and the MP .557 cam. It ran a best of 11.42 @ 117 with the Dynamic 9.5 converter and drove great on the street. Same with my 63 as it drives like a normal car as I can drive along and 30 mph in high gear at 1800 to 2200 rpm and never no slippage or to much heat. I been driving on this converter since 2006 and thats one big thing I like about as it never slips driving around even at low rpm when in high gear. And it still works good at the track for me to drive the 45 miles and run high 10's with my 60 fts in the low 1.50's with a 1.50 best. And my 63 is pushing 3900 lbs with my 190 in the car. Also Dynamic is very close to me as its only about 1 hr and 15 minute drive from my house. I also loved the Turbo Action converter I used years ago but they are in Flordia which is not to close to me in MD and cost a bit more then my Dynamic. Like I said I have never dealt with Kenny at PTC but he sounds like a first class guy and place. But my time at Dynamic has always been first class for me as I have never had any complaints with them. Ron

ran a Lupo/Dynamic 9"(?) vert for several years behind both a 440 and 505 . Is a great unit . Got an A1 8"now , again ran it behind both the 440 and 505 it also is a great unit . Dynamic stalled to 5000 , A1 goes to 6000 .
Car is daily driver and bracket raced regularly .

Tex

Did you see any performance gains or losses?

Convertor choice makes a big difference. The top quality suppliers do the job. I've had B&M, Turbo Action, Coan, Tubo Action and Lupo Dynamic. Each has delivered a good product. As a drag racer I broke B&M, Turbo Action, but, they worked very well. I break stuff as a drag racer. The Turbo Action 10" that came with my '66 Satellite worked very well behind a mild 500" motor. The current 9 1/2" Lupo Dynamic is excellent. The top vendors give us the products we like.

Auto Transport Service
Back