• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulleys: Am I Missing Something Stupid???

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
I would appreciate some help; not sure what I am missing, although it is probably something stupid.

I am working on adding my aftermarket A/C. If you want to see the details on that, see thread here, post #196:
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?65096-Hawk-Rod-The-Restoration/page10

Anyway, I now can't seem to get the original crank and water pump pulleys to line up. They worked fine before I took the car apart (although I never did check how well they were aligned). The water pump pulley is further back than the crank pulley. I do not recall taking off any spacers on either, and I haven't changed anything on the engine.

Did I miss anything basic? I appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might have...

Thanks in advance,

Hawk

View attachment 202869

And did you swap out your water pump housing? There are two different thicknesses with these and can locate the pump further back or forward....

Thanks for the replies:

1) It is a 1970 383. It is stock with 80,000 original miles. The pulleys in the picture are the ones that I took off of the car when I started the restoration. The car was a running, driving car.

2) I did not swap out the water pump housing. As a matter of fact, since the engine ran well, all I did was clean it a little bit and throw some paint on it. The water pump and housing haven't even been off the engine...

cant tell very well from the pic but do you have the pulley's on the right direction.

- - - Updated - - -

My bad! I see whats going on. Whats up with the pulley on the ground.

My bad! I see whats going on. Whats up with the pulley on the ground.

The pulley on the ground is a two groove pulley I picked up at Carlisle a couple of weeks ago. My car was originally a manual steering, no A/C car, so it only had one belt that went around the crank, water pump and alternator. To make sure that I had a proper reference, I put those two back on (those are on in the picture).

Thanks,

Hawk

And did you swap out your water pump housing? There are two different thicknesses with these and can locate the pump further back or forward....

I was just scrolling down to see if anyone else mentioned this......

they make thin spacers for the water pump pulley, that would fix it.

and after you said it's the same pump housing, I was going to mention these lol

Here's a link to 440source's version of it

and I think autozone/ your local parts slinger sells a kit for like $5 from spectre

Thanks guys! I think that's the answer.

So I just looked at the inside of my water pump pulley, and there are witness marks from just such a spacer. I wonder if it was there and I just didn't notice it? I will look around my parts shelves and see if I can find it somewhere. It may have been stuck to the inside of the pulley and then fallen out at some point.

Now I feel better. I wanted to know WHY something wouldn't fit right when it did fit originally...

THANKS! That's why this forum rocks! :headbang:

Not to make you sound stupid, but is the hub of the pulley facing out and is that where you see some markings? If not, then what you see is the markings for your fan spacer? Another pic from the front would help.

Not to make you sound stupid, but is the hub of the pulley facing out and is that where you see some markings? If not, then what you see is the markings for your fan spacer? Another pic from the front would help.

No, I see the markings on the INSIDE of the water pump pulley. In other words, the surface that goes towards the water pump (NOT the surface that goes towards the fan/clutch). This means it would have pushed the water pump pulley more towards the front of the car, which is where it needed to be...

Has the engine ever been apart? I wonder if the balancer was not pressed all the way on.

First, to your question: No the engine has never been apart, and it fit when I took it off. Thanks for the suggestion, but we got it figured out. It was a spacer between the water pump and pulley that is missing. It must have dropped off somewhere.

Now just to find it (or order another if I can't).

Thanks,

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back