• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about a 440 block I saw at the Good Guys show

anmracing

Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
So I'm checking out all the cool stuff for sale at the Good Guys car show's swap meet last weekend in Scottsdale, Az. and I come across this dude that has 2 440 blocks. He was asking $800 bucks for each of them... WOW, is that the average price of a clean, seasoned 440 block these days? I was floored. No crank, pistons, bearings etc... They were very clean though. I was just wondering if that is what they are going for these days.

I know, I know, stuff is only worth as much as you are willing to pay for it.... LOL!

That is a little high unless they had been maged and sonic checked and everything checked out real good.

depends, if its cleaned, magged, marked HP/HP2 and the year you need could be worth more than $800, if it has the VIN number that matches your vcode resto, could be worth $8K to the right guy...

I have a super nice F HP2 block cleaned, magged, ready to go, I would want around $750 for it, only comes with the main caps and rear main carrier... NOW, if they were just 440 blocks from what ever and when ever, I think $800 is steep, you can get complete motors needing to be done for that price...

They did look clean enough that they probably did check them for any flaws but that would end up happening with the end buyer just to be on the safe side. They standard 440 blocks out of trucks. Didn't want to look like I was intersted in them so I did check that they were stamped 440 but that was it.

I remember buying my first 440 in the 1900's for $100. That was the car and all... LOL!!!!

I didn't know they made 440s from 1901 - 1910!

Now that would be cool! 440 cubic Inches, 5:1 compression, 90 horsepower.

On the serious side, there are two prices in Phoenix. One for the locals, and one for the Tourists. The locals know who to buy from, and the Tourists are the easy victims. (AKA Suckers, unless it is an HP block)Especially In the winter, when the population Increases by 300,000 or so.

Good point on the tourist tax...

Now that would be cool! 440 cubic Inches, 5:1 compression, 90 horsepower.

On the serious side, there are two prices in Phoenix. One for the locals, and one for the Tourists. The locals know who to buy from, and the Tourists are the easy victims. (AKA Suckers, unless it is an HP block)Especially In the winter, when the population Increases by 300,000 or so.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to figure any time between 1900 and 1999 would be considered the 1900's. LOL!! 1980's then...

I didn't know they made 440s from 1901 - 1910!

fury was the first car ever made so, it could have came with a 440...

Sheeet....got a 1970 440 engine (not HP)....standard bore with a Hemi grind cam, ported 516 heads with 2.08/1.74 valves, moly rings, titanium retainers on matching springs that no one wants to pay 1500 for.

Hey cranky I would be Interested in the engine If you weren't 1,000+ miles away! A Great one for the 77' Cordoba.

Hell, I have a nice 440 block with caps I'd take $300 plus crating and shipping for. I've had it for over 20 years and will probably never get around to building it.

Man I punted a few 440's awhile back that I pulled out of here and there my scrap guy grabbed them up quick I think he still has them all . I can go buy a 1973 motor home with a 440 for $500 right now 37k miles runs and drive s if you need a good core to start vwith I'm told the 73-78 motor s are a bit beefyer (I don't know this for sure) but look for a crapy motor home you might get lucky

I have a fuel injected 440 in the Belvedere and it runs awesome. I have a spare block just in case.... I thought the price was steep but since I haven't been in the market for a long time, I started wondering if I should check what the concensus is. In case I needed an extra $800. LOL!

Auto Transport Service
Back