• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about this hydraulic roller cam …is it billet steel or not ??

Moparjack 489

Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
Hello, anyone knows sure what the cams are :

Howards Cams Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts 723445-08​

Billet steel or don’t ?

Billet steel or don’t ?

9455D8E3-4EDE-4A76-BAB5-989CE639C2F0.png

If, IF! the pic is accurate, or even of the referenced cam.... it looks billet. I would call Howard's tech line, and ask.
Oops! In small print in the add it SAYS it's not the actual cam, so reiterated, call Howard's.
2nd edit: the pic is a Chevy cam.

Billet steel or don’t ?
Email howards with the serial # on the camcard, i just did this the other day and they got back to me in a few hours.

It is a billet cam so you are correct with the bronze parts!

So it’s a billet cam

A3008D7A-8BE2-4BBA-9BC7-F3B80CD05C61.png

I was going to go melonized myself, then read on hughes page for it that it shouldn't be used with a HV pump... not sure why though... i need to order a shaft myself soon

I was going to go melonized myself, then read on hughes page for it that it shouldn't be used with a HV pump... not sure why though... i need to order a shaft myself soon
HV pumps put more load on the gear.....how much I don't know but the pump body is larger than a regular volume pump by about 20%

Wouldn't that apply to bronze gears? I'd be watching gear wear on either.

HV pumps put more load on the gear.....how much I don't know but the pump body is larger than a regular volume pump by about 20%
Yeah, i kinda figure they have the disclaimer on there cause morons like me use a HV pump and don't really need it.. i'm just gonna make the pump work less by running 15w oil :) Problem solved!

yea, it’s billet .
Melonized gears I may have not good experience, because the manufactor always say don’t use high volume / high pressure oil pumps , and only use it on new camshaft ‚s. So the change from a bronze gear to a Melonized one on the „ old „ camshaft can be able to run in problems too … with the bronze I still have better feeling ….

Auto Transport Service
Back