• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for you shippers? Mostly car models and die- cast cars.

SteveSS

Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
I could see myself selling a shipping 50 to a hundred of a mix of these cars. I've just got too damn many and although my kids like them they don't have the room. I need insider information like is it better to list one or a group or Craigslist or eBay always shied away from Facebook because of privacy. Shipping becomes another hurdle, do I need to sign up with someone to get better prices and materials? Any help would be appreciated.

Steve.

I could see myself selling a shipping 50 to a hundred of a mix of these cars. I've just got too damn many and although my kids like them they don't have the room. I need insider information like is it better to list one or a group or Craigslist or eBay always shied away from Facebook because of privacy. Shipping becomes another hurdle, do I need to sign up with someone to get better prices and materials? Any help would be appreciated.

Steve.
Why not here or better yet, on FABO. THere's a pretty big group there that is into that.

Craigslist is a sh#& show now.

eBay is horrible, check some of the recent threads. It can still work, and you do get shipping discounts. You are going to pay fees though.

I use CL for things yet. You can't sell cars there though, they charge a fee.
I never post anything for contact info, force people to use CL email. For one only actual interested parties will bother, and second your info is not out there unless it is determined by you to be legit interest. I only had one wierdo in 15 years wanted to buy an old Lincoln tombstone welder I had, lived 3 hours away and him and his girl thought it was the thing they NEEDED. but heh, couldn't convince me to meet them halfway(it was 3 hours one way, NO)
Otherwise I sell little things, i meet them at the local gas station(cameras, no home address sharing) and things are fine.

If you think you want to ship them, do it through here to fellow enthusiasts or prolly use fleabay. Fleabay has some stuff to help protect you from fraud and such, but they will charge you. Lot of people add it to the shipping cost instead. I don't sell on there. Don't have enough crap to my name to sell "proffessionally" I guess. But I buy stuff sometimes. It still works mostly how it has. Just costs more now.

Steve.
If the models are played with, not in original packaging, or have any damage, and are not rare models, I would just offer them here. Costs nothing to advertise here, and I'm sure there will be takers.

If you have rare cars, and are in mint condition, try 'The Toy Peddler' website. You will have to join, and you will need to buy selling tokens, but it is a lot more seller friendly than the likes of fleabay.

Part of the reason for The Toy Peddler starting was to escape the sh*tshow that fleabay has become.

When we moved here, I knew I couldn’t bring my die cast collection. Looking at homes for sale, I knew a basement was a long shot. I had a full finished basement at the last house with 2 rooms for display. The house sold in 3 days and closing was a month and a half away. I placed an add on Craigslist with pictures, I had about 3000 cars and trucks. From micro scale to 1/18th, mostly Mopars. I had quite a few original redlines, treasure hunts, limited editions, one offs, etc.. I didn‘t have the time to sell even a few at a time, so it was the whole lot. I thought I’d get a few calls and see what would happen. In 2 days I received 10, from as far away as 150 miles. A few were looking for a particular car, which I had but reiterated, all or none. 3rd day a guy from Chicago who I’d given my address, called me at 1:00 and said I’m here. I explained, I won’t be home till 5, he’d have to wait. He did, he looked, he bought. We loaded his pickup with a cap and back seat full, paid me cash, prior to loading. I could have bought a pretty nice car from those proceeds but put it in my hip national bank. That was 6 years ago. I’m sure things have changed, but I do buy parts, some big tools and my pickup last year off of the online sales sites. Good luck!

When we moved here, I knew I couldn’t bring my die cast collection. Looking at homes for sale, I knew a basement was a long shot. I had a full finished basement at the last house with 2 rooms for display. The house sold in 3 days and closing was a month and a half away. I placed an add on Craigslist with pictures, I had about 3000 cars and trucks. From micro scale to 1/18th, mostly Mopars. I had quite a few original redlines, treasure hunts, limited editions, one offs, etc.. I didn‘t have the time to sell even a few at a time, so it was the whole lot. I thought I’d get a few calls and see what would happen. In 2 days I received 10, from as far away as 150 miles. A few were looking for a particular car, which I had but reiterated, all or none. 3rd day a guy from Chicago who I’d given my address, called me at 1:00 and said I’m here. I explained, I won’t be home till 5, he’d have to wait. He did, he looked, he bought. We loaded his pickup with a cap and back seat full, paid me cash, prior to loading. I could have bought a pretty nice car from those proceeds but put it in my hip national bank. That was 6 years ago. I’m sure things have changed, but I do buy parts, some big tools and my pickup last year off of the online sales sites. Good luck!
That was a smart move selling as a lot only

I sold all but my Mopar Nationals ones years ago as a lot to a dealer. Some rare ones, many ordinary, was the only way I could see liquidating them all. He had good shopping rates and sent me tags.

Tried to go commercial while using UPS but they said I was living in a residential area...thing is, the city I live in has no zoning laws. UPS wanted me to have a store front. Oh well and after that they started up charging me on everything I shipped no matter if I added 5 lbs to the actual weight of the package! Aholes. So, started using USPS and so far after over 10+ years, haven't had a problem. Good packaging is a big plus imo and tape the snot out of them. I'll even reinforce their 'if it fits it ships' flat rate boxes when I ship something heavy.

Haven't used CL in a few years now but had decent results but FB Market place has been pretty good. Yeah, you get scammers but after being a mod here and other places for many years, I can smell them pretty easily. FB only has my name and only recently the dating site has my age but that's it. I also don't do the 'meet half way' crap but will meet at my local credit union since it's just around the corner but haven't done that in awhile now so they usually come to my home. Been doing that since the mid 70's and have had only one person who didn't read the ad and got pissed off thinking he was getting a running and driving car when it was only a rolling shell. He got warned to leave and if he didn't, I had something else to do my talking. Also, I'm always armed but most times it's concealed even if it's only by a light weight T-shirt.

Auto Transport Service
Back