• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator / Heating Hose Drip Issues

The reproduction/aftermarket clamps are weaker than the originals. Trying to restore the older ones bring their own issues as well. I sent a pile of them off to be replated and when they came back they were brittle, one easy squeeze and they actually started breaking. Inside each break was plating so either the plating must have caused it or soaking in the derusting solution.

So, on a related note, what is everybody doing about the smaller heater hose? The 9/16” hose doesn’t seem to be available, and the 5/8” hose drips on my car at the heater box nipples. I’ve been living with that all summer, but would like to cure it once and for all.
70 would be 1/2" and 5/8" and there are clamps for both sizes. Try the smear of RTV and new clamps?!

..as CHTAMPA points out the repro clamps are lighter and not as "springy" as the OE's. When installing only spread them enough that you have to work them onto the hose.. I went through my entire collection to find the ones with the smallest static diameter, out of the "correct" size.

70 would be 1/2" and 5/8" and there are clamps for both sizes. Try the smear of RTV and new clamps?!

..as CHTAMPA points out the repro clamps are lighter and not as "springy" as the OE's. When installing only spread them enough that you have to work them onto the hose.. I went through my entire collection to find the ones with the smallest static diameter, out of the "correct" size.

hmm....1/2” you say? That may be my answer. That for that tidbit!

I use Loctite 515 or 518 on the inside of the hoses or the outside of the nipples. It is a non-hardening sealant, not a thread locker.

Auto Transport Service
Back