• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rant: I hate chrysler

Let me tell you something: It was NOT a great idea to put a big block (440 in my case) in that (to) SMALL engine bay!

You can't reach ****.
There is almost no working room, kinda like a modern car.

Even something "simple" like changing spark plugs makes you want to scrap the car.

Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful looking and driving car, comfy and nice with in my case a/c and even cruise control.
But the people that decided that this MAINTENANCE NIGHTMARE is worth 90k in #3 condition must be OUT OF THEIR ******* MIND.

Why am i so mad?

Well i just spent 5 hours together with my dad trying to change the motor mounts.
We managed to change 1 (passenger side) and i'm not sure if it's possible to swap the driver side mount without pulling the engine. (even less working room)
Everytime we repair something on this car it's the same story: Almost no working room. Most of the time you can barely fit a wrench.

Not a great design from a maintenance point of view.
Look at my 72 cutlass supreme (It has an sbo but even the ones with bbo seem to have way more working room in pictures)
or look at a 70 chevelle (same platform), 69 camaro or 67 impala for example.
Those all seem to be way more maintenance friendly due to having more working room.

I don't know. I kinda spent 50k on this car to punish myself.
Could've bought a 70 chevelle ls6 for the same money at that point.
Yeah the mopars look the best and we've got the hemi (unfortunately i don't have a hemi personally) but i think the chevelle would be the better choice for the non masochist mechanic.

If you want a charger better get it with a slant 6.
Or hire your own personal pitiable creatures (mechanics) to do the work for you. (Like Jay Leno does)

I should do like hoovie from hoovies garage.
Make videos about how great these cars are and let someone else do the crappy work for me while making money at the same time. :D
Well, look at it as spending 5 hours of quality time with your dad. Not all dads are around to turn wrenches with anymore.

I used to swap motor mounts in the driveway under the car when I was 18. Same with oil pans, clutches and everything else. Don’t blame the platform for your limited skill set.
I changed the clutch and diff in my 70 RR on the driveway with a tiny 2-ton jack when I was still an electrical apprentice....no formal mechanical training....just read the FSM, and took advice from older guys.

Michael said:
"I should do like hoovie from hoovies garage"

Hoovie getting dressed for work:
Clown Shoes.jpg

And, did you complain the bolts are too tight? Wowza. :lol:

No but the threads appear somewhat worn. (Can't really see it, i also cleaned them but it certainly feels like it) So its anything but fun to get them on and off.
I'm not saying they applied to much torque.

I changed the clutch and diff in my 70 RR on the driveway with a tiny 2-ton jack when I was still an electrical apprentice....no formal mechanical training....just read the FSM, and took advice from older guys.
So last week huh? :poke: :lol:

Is this thread real? Big block A Bodies are tight, you got tons of room under the hood of that B Body.
And, did you complain the bolts are too tight? Wowza. :lol:
I’ve heard a couple of old time mechanics all complain about one particular car... the GM Chevy Monza with the factory installed V8. Most just ended up removing the motor mounts and jacking up the engine to change the plugs. :(:D

in the rain, up hill.....both ways

Agreed. Changing plugs on a 440 is a real cunt. Sure I might slam things or even shout the “c” word once or twice but it’s all worth it in the end. Calm down, you psycho.

No but the threads appear somewhat worn. (Can't really see it, i also cleaned them but it certainly feels like it) So its anything but fun to get them on and off.
I'm not saying they applied to much torque.
The thing about the correct original motor mount bolts is they are a fine thread with a lock nut... Not the nylon ring type lock nut but a dimpled nut... The depression on the side slightly distorts the thread causing the nut to take extra effort to turn which prevents them coming loose...

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 6.40.36 PM.png

Well obviously i'm a bit excited right now.

But here is a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440 engine bay

View attachment 1304231

And here is a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 LS6 engine bay

View attachment 1304230

There obviously is more working room.

Also with the chevelle you can do this:

View attachment 1304236

You can't do this with a b body mopar.
No....but you can do this if you really have to.....

1656207839565.jpeg

On a shop hoist it takes about 3 hours for the untrained like me.....on the floor as in the picture.....about an extra hour.

The thing about the correct original motor mount bolts is they are a fine thread with a lock nut... Not the nylon ring type lock nut but a dimpled nut... The depression on the side slightly distorts the thread causing the nut to take extra effort to turn which prevents them coming loose...

View attachment 1304248

Thinking about it this in combination with the fact that there is almost no working room is why i hate this job so much.
If there was more working room it wouldn't be to bad and if those bolts came off easy it would also be way easier to do...

Trade up to a fuselage styled C body.
:)

________
A 455 in a '72 Pontiac Trans am is kind of tight.

View attachment 1304248
I just replaced the tie rod end clamp bolt on the passenger side as it was bent. The driver side one was fine after a wirebrush. I was wondering what that little rectangle was for!

The USA made Moog adjuster sleeve has grade 8 bolts with the aircraft nuts. I used one of the bolts.

Michael three years ago you were using a jack to lift your Charger for the first time. You need at least another ten years experience working on cars before you can start complaining. You should look under the hoods of some of the newer cars. Have to remove the plenum just to change spark plugs. Remove the inner fender just to change an oil filter. The newer vehicles can be a nightmare to work on but there's guys your age working on them for a living everyday. Take the good with the bad and above all have patience when tackling any job.

I wonder why they did not weld the nuts to the bracket that holds the engine mount & bolts to the engine.
It would be so much easier then.

Edit: Or maybe not. Need to look at this again.

You should be able to change BB spark plugs in 15 minutes with the right tools. For the tighter ones, buy some used/old/cheap box wrenches and cut them in half for short throw wrenching on or off the plug socket. It makes changing those couple of tougher plugs a snap.

A BB motor mount change with the engine in the car is simple with the right sockets, wobblies, and extensions. You don't need much room to work when you have the right tools in hand. You just have not thought it through or have the experience (yet) . THINK AND PLAN, THEN WRENCH: Use long extensions and wobble sockets. It's just 8 little bolts.

I wonder why they did not weld the nuts to the bracket that holds the engine mount & bolts to the engine.
I changed them out on my ‘68 Satellite wagon with the 273. I thought they were welded on that. It was back in 2011... the memory is foggy. :D

Edit: Or maybe not. Need to look at this again.
Because there's always someone that finds a way to cross-thread a fastener.

Auto Transport Service
Back