• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear end height

skrcsmith4

Local time
9:22 AM
Reaction score
I want to lower the rear end on my 69 RR. I adjusted the front torsion bars in the front down a good three inchs and i would like to do the same to the rear end. Has anyone used lowering blocks to do this. Thanks

I want to lower the rear end on my 69 RR. I adjusted the front torsion bars in the front down a good three inchs and i would like to do the same to the rear end. Has anyone used lowering blocks to do this. Thanks
Has anyone heard of using them

Not in any performance application I've seen.

Should be possible - not sure if anyone makes any blocks for this purpose. Most people are trying to raise their rear to compensate for sagging springs. You also might be able to pull the front spring hangars and flip them over and even re-drill a spring anchor bolt hole higher up - which will seat the front of the spring higher and effectively lower the rear a little. Not sure what it might do to your driveline angles however.

You also might advertise for someone's set of RR/GTX rear springs that they took out due to their car being too low. Should be a few of those around.

I replaced a set maybe 6 years ago with some that were advertised as a high spring rate, AND lowered the car by 2 inches from stock.
Put them on the 66 in my picture above.
Very stiff, and looks good, because I run front end low, too. I broke the originals when I had some wheel hop on hard shift.
Had to clamp 'em together for a month or two before I changed them, and baby it.

Hey skrcsmith4, I've done what you're thinking about and running it on my car right now without a problem. You can buy the "lowering blocks" in 1", 2" & 3"sizes at most auto parts stores. I bought mine at AutoZone, but I've seen them elsewhere. What you're looking for is the generic truck leaf spring "lift" kits, which because our Mopar leaf springs go below the rear end, make them "drop" kits for Mopars. The kits contain two metal blocks with a locator pin in the center + 4 larger U-bolts, which are luckily all exactly what fits a Mopar.
This is AutoZone's 13-1030 2" kit that I'm using. I "think" I filed down the locator pins just a touch so they fit into the Mopar spring perches. These go for about $35

Just be aware this can change your drive line angle and create a vibration. This is just a possibility and may not happen.

If there's NO angle, the pin bearings in the u-joint caps wear divots into the x-piece, sooner or later.

Auto Transport Service
Back