• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear shackles sliders info

I've seen guys suggesting lowering blocks & while I'll agree they do have a place they also have their problems... In a drag car the big issue is they increase the leverage of the axle in attempting to wrap up the spring pack.. Think stubby wrench vs long wrench.... I'm not saying don't use them at all but I'd strongly suggest you keep them short 1.5" at the very most & preferably less than an inch....

If you decide to use Caltracs,they are available in different heights.
I had recently commented on that.
-1/stock/+1 height. What I really don't know is which one is right for me?
I figure my current leads are weak, but I like the ride height, which is low I think.
I'm sure the short sidewalls contribute, but the 17" wheels counter that.
Is there some way to tell what "factory height" should be? Measurements from *** to yyy?
The other thing is that +1 may help fit a wider tire so it doesn't rub on the inverted U shaped curve of the rear fenderwells?

Me thinks it's time to call them.I think they will exchange the segment if it's not the height you want. I also like it low and if I were any lower it would would hit in driveway aprons and the like.

Carlisle 2019 003.jpg Carlisle 2019 004.jpg Carlisle 2019 007.jpg Carlisle 2019 008.jpg Carlisle 2019 010.jpg Carlisle 2019 224.jpg

Great looking stance.
Here's a picture that is a good idea of how my Roadrunner sits now:
20191124_145848.jpg

20181003_162325.jpg

The front tires are a little shorter than they could be, I think they are 245/45/17s in front. I had a problem with the front tires that came on the car and the 15" steel Rallye wheels, the front tires rubbed at full lock on the front brake line attached to the frame, so I was over cautious when I got the front tires for the 8 x 17 front wheels.
ANY LOWER and I would scrape off my electronic cutouts!

how welded on do they need to be? i see most r welded in the front and rear only..nothing side to side.is that enough?.and i have seen some what appears to be bolted with 2 bolts thru the frame after welded to a channel..

i have seen some what appears to be bolted with 2 bolts thru the frame after welded to a channel..
What I've seen is what I'd do:
The slider is welded to a U shaped bracket (w/90° right angle corners) and then the bracket is bolted to the frame with 2 bolts. Less intrusive.

We welded a few nuts to a flat plate. The slider bolts to the plate. Just weld the plate to the rail. You can always cut the plate off with a cut of wheel. A little grinding and you're back to factory.
Doug

We welded a few nuts to a flat plate. The slider bolts to the plate. Just weld the plate to the rail. You can always cut the plate off with a cut of wheel. A little grinding and you're back to factory.
Doug
thanks, i'm not worried about returning to original form, there has been so many mod's on this car we r well beyond that,,,after looking at others,,just wondering if welding it front and rear only would be enough, judging by others it is? i bought the bearing'd speedway sliders, and thinking about the best/easist way to proceed.

Again I wish to remind anyone going to sliders that the SS spring eye and the Caltrac spring eye are 2 different sizes!:thumbsup:

Dont't ask how I know:BangHead:

Again I wish to remind anyone going to sliders that the SS spring eye and the Caltrac spring eye are 2 different sizes!:thumbsup:

Dont't ask how I know:BangHead:
So when ordering the sliders, if from someone other than Calvert, what is the correct size bolt for the Caltracs split mono leaf springs?

I can tell ya what I did to the car 20 years ago, but,,,,,,Did I eat lunch yesterday?????:(
Used to be a big shot,,,,,,now I'm just SHOT!:lol:

Question, on your sliders how much space do you leave for the spring to move forward. One inch or half inch. Or do you just split it down the middle. Next question length of shock should it be longer or is there a standard shock to use.

Auto Transport Service
Back