• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear tires and wheels.

Just saw a guy with a 70 RR with 18x12's and a 5.5 back spacing running a 315 or 325 tire with no rubbing.

Nothing was done, and the guy said I never rubs. He's got super stiff shocks but I even couldn't believe it till I saw it

There's no way! I originally bought 315/60-15 tires for my 10" wheels, and just testing the tires, I could not fit the 315s in my 69' Bee's fenderwells. Stuffing it all the way in, it was smashed up against the leaf springs and sticking outside the fender.

This is the set up that I'm going with. Mickey Thompson Drag Radial 295/55R/15 mounted on Weld RT-S S71 15 X 9 wheels. The tires are 12" overall width, 10.9" tread and 27.8" tall. Recommended rim size is 9.0".

image.jpgimage.jpg

I'm going to pull one of my rears today and measure up. I've got 285's right now with a car that sits low and it feels like I've got gobs of room. I know I can get 295's but am gonna do my best to see if 305's will fit. My car is more pro-touring style so moving from my 17s front and back to 18 and 19 staggered.

Here's a couple angles showing the 285's

IMAG2682.jpgtire.jpgtire1.jpgtire2.jpg

Well I was really hoping I could fit a 305 on a 19x10. Now I'm thinking 305 on 19x12 so if I choose to mini tub later I could get a 335 on the same rim. Looking at how much room I still have around my 285's I would think the same setup would work for me as on the 70

Even though I can se the 315's with my own eyes in that 70 I don't want to push my luck lol. I'd rather ensure a little room for travel and still have the benefits of moving from the 285 to a 305.

Depends on the terrain you'll be on, situations that cock the axle really crooked eat up clearances quick so don't push it if your a country boy. I'm running 285's X 27" dia on my 69 Charger with plenty of room for 295's or even 305's but because of where I live 305's would be a problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back