• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuild NAG1

dickdale

Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
Has anybody done a NAG1 rebuild? I would like to know the difference between the Mercedes 722.6 and the Chrysler 722.6. On the outside they are the same (besides bellhousing) but i've red that some internals are different.

King of the surf guitar,
I have done a NAG1 with my son for his 2005 Magnum wagon a few years ago.

He bought some of the Mopar special tools and a Mopar rebuild kit. We fabbed up a couple tools and used some transmission tools I already have.

From what I know the difference between them would be the load rating (more clutches and such) for higher TQ loads.

Get a good service manual and we used a couple YouTube videos for some reference.

Good luck,
Cliff Ramsdell

Hi Cliff, thx for your reply.

Do you know if it is possible to put more clutches in a Chrysler NAG1? I red some where that the Mercedes trans has more clutches than a Chrysler trans.

That would require some research, I can’t say for sure. Companies like Alto sell clutch and steels that are thinner allowing more clutches to be installed in a clutch pack.

The NAG1 has lots of clutches and since it came out after I left the Chrysler dealership I never worked on them new, Matt’s was the only one I built.

Cliff Ramsdell

Auto Transport Service
Back