• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended Mopar Engine Builders?

Fisher500

Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
I live in the midwest (Iowa) and am looking for an experienced good Mopar engine builder. Any recommendations? I have a 440/6-pack that I would like to freshen up.

I can't think of any in Iowa off the top of my head, but here are a few good reputable builders, Mancini Racing in Clinton Township Mich., INDY Cylinder Head is in Ind., Ray Barton he's in Penn., Muscle Motors is in Lansing Mi., MRL Performance is in Mich., JD Engine & Machine is in Missouri, IQ52/Jim LaRoy here on FBBO of LaRoy Engines in Challis Idaho, all for race/performance engines mainly, but could do a stocker type build too.... what type of 440-6bbl build, are you looking for ??, just stock or street strip or race engine ??... try to Google it, or maybe check out, Mopar Muscle Mag. Amsoil Engine Challenge Contestants, there's allot of good/great Mopar Engine Builders, from West to the East....

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just looking to rebuild it as a street engine and maybe occasional run down the strip. Something that is driveable, but yet better than stock.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just looking to rebuild it as a street engine and maybe occasional run down the strip. Something that is driveable, but yet better than stock.

IMHO most any reputable/quality machine shop/engine builder in your area, that has the A-typical "old guy" owner, that knows a little about every 60-70's vintage builds, that's been in business for a while or at a minimum, a fairly experienced person working the machinery, that know the basics about MoPar's, would probably be just fine...

Get ahold of Scott Schourbon in Maquokata, iowa. He did my 383 for my RR. He is a mopar guy thru and thru, plus he won the Mopar Muscle Engine build 3 out of 6 yrs that I know of. Don't know if I can put his number on here so pm me and I will give it too you. the cost for my rebuild was $3000 so depending on what you want done with your 6-pack, could be more or less.

Is Hughes Engines experienced with Mopars and do you happen to have a phone number for them?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone tried WesTech Auto in Silver Lake, WI?

- - - Updated - - -

I found Hughes on the Web. Thanks for the lead!

Here's a shop with a Mopar pedigree/history in Des Moines..........

Ostrich Racing Engines
2567 NE Broadway
Des Moines, IA 50317

Back in 1988 when I was living in Ames and Gary Ostrich(before he became ill) had his machine shop in Nevada, IA, I had him do the numbers matching 440 in my '70 Challenger R/T. His attention to detail and workmanship were second to none. Turn-a-round time was about 3 weeks...he even delivered the finished motor to my residence when the work was completed.

You might give them a call and check them out.

The Late Pro Stock Chevy Driver & Engine Builder Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins Told Me Once That The Best Mopar Engine Builders Are Chevy Builders!
I beg to differ with you and "cr8crshr" can vouch for that as well as a Chevy builder totally dicked up his 383. If you want it done right, your better off doing it yourself!

Hughes knows Mopars. MEW did mine, Bay Area. Mopar ONLY shops for me. Caveat Emptor.

Auto Transport Service
Back