• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Refresh the shop/man-cave

Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
Since the '64 is done I've had a couple guys ask what the next project will be. Well, gonna do a shop upgrade. DW thinks it's a waste of time and money and that I don't need it; My reply is "It's not about need."

Cleaned everything out. ripped down the pad with diamond grinders. charcoal two part epoxy base. mica top coat. remove extra then pick up and buff the floor. then same two part top coat without pigment. Plumbing is done for bar area. cabinets are ordered. using galv. corrugated for the walls and shooting the ceiling with a heavy mica "aluminum" finish.

Will post more shots as we go. the guy you see in the shots is Rick Fischer of DecoIllusions. Very talented cat and a good friend.

Attachments

• shop 979.jpg
    shop 979.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,579
  • shop 980.jpg
    shop 980.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2,039
  • shop 981.jpg
    shop 981.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,610
  • shop 982.jpg
    shop 982.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,577
  • shop 983.jpg
    shop 983.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,474
  • shop 986.jpg
    shop 986.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,466
  • shop 994.jpg
    shop 994.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,434
  • shop 998.jpg
    shop 998.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,451
  • shop 1007.jpg
    shop 1007.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,456
  • shop 1011.jpg
    shop 1011.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,446
  • shop 1014.jpg
    shop 1014.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,436
  • shop 1016.jpg
    shop 1016.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,445
  • shop 1018.jpg
    shop 1018.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,440
  • shop 1019.jpg
    shop 1019.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,439
  • shop 1022.jpg
    shop 1022.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,447
  • shop 1026.jpg
    shop 1026.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,437
  • shop 1027.jpg
    shop 1027.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,410
All I can say is WOW - very impressive ! Wish I had that much shop space - great job !

( love the cabinets on the wall . . . but I don't think they hold much supplies ? ? )

X2 on WOW ... X2 on impressive ... X2 on space jealousy ... X2 on cabinets ... 3D cabinets will be more useful.

Very nice work!

Thanks guys. The shop was built by the previous owner and he kept it in very clean shape.

Funny story about the rattle can cabinet lay out. DW was rolling her eyes and hurumphing me about the quantity of cabinets, so I had to show her the basic scope of work; she is blonde but far from dumb and understood the use once I laid it out. One of the selling points (not that I needed it, but there is such a thing as domestic tranquillity) was that the "wet bar" area is "hers". The base cabinets will be file cabinet pull outs for her business files. The overheads are extra deep for all the canning supplies (pressure cooker, big kettles, jars, strainers, etc.) and the sink will be a single bowl 22x30 extra deep, to wash fruits and veggies. Then I'll install a low end commercial sprayer for the faucet. The large full height cabinets to the right will be for winter coats and boots, extra odd sized jars, pickling crocks and dry goods.

Looks really nice, can't wait to see your finished pics! :sSig_goodjob:

PS. We can't be too far away from each other. I'm also in Northern Indiana.

X2 on WOW ... X2 on impressive ... X2 on space jealousy ... X2 on cabinets ... 3D cabinets will be more useful.

Very nice work!

"3D cabinets will be more useful" . . . now THAT'S really funny ! ! ! Why didn't I think of that ? ? ?

Bar, sink, canning good, coat and boots . . . 2059 - Are you looking for a renter ? ? ( SMILE )

"3D cabinets will be more useful" . . . now THAT'S really funny ! ! ! Why didn't I think of that ? ? ?

Bar, sink, canning good, coat and boots . . . 2059 - Are you looking for a renter ? ? ( SMILE )

Lol... Daughter and husband and at some point, grand kids will fill that spot while visiting....

I emphasize VISITING!!

That is just awesome! I think i would be afraid of even doing anything in there.. all that room alone gets me envious! Enjoy :)

That is just awesome! I think i would be afraid of even doing anything in there.. all that room alone gets me envious! Enjoy :)

Thanks Ron.

When we were planning this, Rick (Decco illusions) took me to a guys shop/business (40x80) where he did the same treatment on the floor with different color Mica. The guy is a taxidermist and he needed something that was bullet proof because of the salts, chemicals and traffic. He drives his skid-steer in the shop and pivots on a dime with no damage to the floor. The only damage he has is from where his brother-in-law pulled a pallet across the floor with nails sticking out. It scratched the top coat but Rick will just relay that area and you'll never know.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats how I want my floor done.looks great

Thanks Runner.

It's an interesting process. There is a point where you swear the only thing missing is Freddie Mercury, Liberace and Rip Torn. It's a little un-nerving until you remove the excess mica, buff it down and put on the top coat. Then it looks like Terrazzo.

Very nice, I am South of Ft. Wayne. What about cut & weld splatter on the finish. Jeff.

Lol... Daughter and husband and at some point, grand kids will fill that spot while visiting....

I emphasize VISITING!!

Ha ha . . . but do THEY know that ? ! ? ! ? ! ? Love your shop - it looks great !

Very nice, I am South of Ft. Wayne. What about cut & weld splatter on the finish. Jeff.

Thanks. Nope won't hold up to that; which is why I have the area behind this part which will stay concrete. Rick's studio is in Roanoake. he's on the west side of the main drag favoring the north end. He's almost never there as he is on a jobsite most days. i'd give him a call i'm sure he has options for your situation. Don't let the website fool ya, he get's into the job up to his elbows and is a car guy to the core.

http://decoillusions.com/index.php

Thanks guys. The shop was built by the previous owner and he kept it in very clean shape.

Funny story about the rattle can cabinet lay out. DW was rolling her eyes and hurumphing me about the quantity of cabinets, so I had to show her the basic scope of work; she is blonde but far from dumb and understood the use once I laid it out. One of the selling points (not that I needed it, but there is such a thing as domestic tranquillity) was that the "wet bar" area is "hers". The base cabinets will be file cabinet pull outs for her business files. The overheads are extra deep for all the canning supplies (pressure cooker, big kettles, jars, strainers, etc.) and the sink will be a single bowl 22x30 extra deep, to wash fruits and veggies. Then I'll install a low end commercial sprayer for the faucet. The large full height cabinets to the right will be for winter coats and boots, extra odd sized jars, pickling crocks and dry goods.

This all sounds great until "DW" comes into "her" shop to wash up some fresh apples in "her" new sink to find you have a pair of Holleys laying in there soaking in carb cleaner! ha ha ha

Looks great! It will be a nice place to hang out when your done. Where is the turntable with lights going for the '64?

This all sounds great until "DW" comes into "her" shop to wash up some fresh apples in "her" new sink to find you have a pair of Holleys laying in there soaking in carb cleaner! ha ha ha

Looks great! It will be a nice place to hang out when your done. Where is the turntable with lights going for the '64?

Hahahahahha!! Turn table??? I'm thinkin' stripper pole!! maybe... sadly, probably not....

and it's been very clear from the start that it's not her shop... I'll take the grief.. seriously thinking about a couple of chrome theatre poles with red velvet ropes to cordon off the car area.

Auto Transport Service
Back