• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relocating Battery to Trunk

Warhorse

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
Greetings Mopar buds,

I have decided to relocate the battery to the trunk of my '68 Charger, mainly to make room in the engine compartment for a brake booster vacuum pump which I intend to mount in the original battery tray/location. I am considering using the Taylor 48103 kit from Summit. Need to decide whether to run the new battery cable into the cabin and thru the firewall or run it thru the trunk floor underneath to the engine compartment. Since I haven't done this before I am looking for any advice concerning this mod.

Thanx!

Take a look at MAD enterprises kit and ideas about this. I installed mine using this system and have been very satisfied with the performance. http://madelectrical.com/catalog/tm-1.shtml I ran the starter cable inside up the passenger side and across the inside firewall then through to starter just behind it. Dave

I have done this a few times and always ran the cable through the car. Make sure its a high quality cable and away from any sharp edges and you will be fine. Good luck with the project!

Thanx! Madelectrical has good stuff/info. Kind of archaic website though... I like the idea of the remote solenoid to keep the heat off the fat battery wire. I'll give then a call.

Amazing how those old, antiquated Ford solenoids never seem to become obsolete!

I run my cable on the driver's side next to the rear wiring harness, then through the firewall to the starter.
Make sure you have a master shutoff switch at the rear. Required for racing but a good idea even on the street.

Ford? I thought it looked familiar. I see them all over when I searched for solenoids. Here's a basic schematic I whipped up. Batt Relocation.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back