• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remembering Fast Food & Chains Now Closed

Dibbons

Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score
I can relate to a few: Red Barn, Howard Johnson's, Lyon's, Farrell's, Doggie Diner, Sambo's (not sure about "Burger Chef" and "Hardee's"):

This was a local chain in Mass...

1656286291291.png

We had one hamburger joint in Md called Gino's
It was owned by Gino Marchetti the colts player.
And some sub shops called Pollock Johnny's
Great subs

Parkmore drive in restaurants. Eat in your car or inside. Burger Chef was fantastic. Wife and I were just talking about their works bar. Zantigo's mexican fast food. They got bought out by Taco Bell because in Cincy, Zantigo's would have a line out the drive thru onto the street, 40 to 50 cars in line and TB would be empty, lol. Best tamales I've ever eaten. Damn shame.

There’s a handful of A&Ws around us in Ohio. My wife and I go once every couple of weeks

I remember burger chef...... there was also "Gino's", think it was a northeast thing, Gino's also sold KFC....... on a road trip with my parents, I saw KFC without Gino's for the first time........ Gino's had the "Hero Burger", it was rectangle, maybe 6x3"

I also remember Jack in the Box

I remember there being one of the first politically correct "backlashes" coming about with the "theme" of the Sambo's restaurants (which I did not agree with then or now). Whoops, don't send this to the political forum (what have I done?).

We still have them with Long John's combined
There’s a handful of A&Ws around us in Ohio. My wife and I go once every couple of weeks
There was a Long John Silvers combined with a Taco Bell here, but the LJS went away, and the Taco Bell remained.
The only A&W that was local to my calfornia place closed up years ago. I thought they were done and gone. Out of curiosity brought on by another thread, I found out that there is one about five miles from my house that I didn't even know existed....

I remember there being one of the first politically correct "backlashes" coming about with the "theme" of the Sambo's restaurants (which I did not agree with then or now). Whoops, don't send this to the political forum (what have I done?).
The man that started the chain had no political or racial thoughts when he started his first restaurant or his second/third/forth... He was chasing his dream and PC crap destroyed his dream....

Here in Northern CA, we used to have:
Herfy's burger
Naugles
Wuvs
Churches fried chicken.
Steve's Place pizza
Shakey's Pizza.

200px-Wetsons.logo.gif
IndustryFast-food restaurants
Founded1959; 63 years ago
FounderHerbert Wetanson
Defunct1975; 47 years ago
FateClosed
HeadquartersNew York, California, U.S
Number of locations~70 (at its peak)
ProductsHamburgers

Wetson's was an American fast food hamburger chain that existed from 1959 to 1975. At its peak, Wetson's had approximately 70 locations in the greater New York metropolitan area.

Wetson's was known for its signature burger, the "Big W", as well as 15-cent burgers, 10-cent fries, and the slogans "Look for the Orange Circles" and "Buy a bagful",[1] phrases similar to the McDonald's slogan "Look for the Golden Arches" and White Castle's "Buy 'em by the sack". Wetson's also had two clown mascots in the style of McDonald's Ronald McDonald, named Wetty (female) and Sonny (male).[2] The "Big W" was similar to today's McDonald's Big Mac. Wetsons also sold breakfast sandwiches.

Our Saturday night special when I was a kid

There are lots of A&W locations around here. Over 1,000 in Canada right now.
Yep, A&W still going strong in Quebec.
We used to have one in the Burlington Mall (Massachusetts) but that’s long gone. I never see them in the states anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back