• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remembering Fast Food & Chains Now Closed

Yep, A&W still going strong in Quebec.
We used to have one in the Burlington Mall (Massachusetts) but that’s long gone. I never see them in the states anymore.
We still have one in town.... Had three back in the 70's but only one left..

We had one hamburger joint in Md called Gino's
It was owned by Gino Marchetti the colts player.
And some sub shops called Pollock Johnny's
Great subs

Do you remember Munches in Westminster along Rt.140? Had the best little burgers. In the 60s they were 25 cents. Later they were called Harry's. There was a Gino's also which changed to KFC then to Roy Rogers.

I'm not sure if they were chains or just single stores but we had Rax roast beef, Tony Pacos hot dogs, and Top Hat burgers.

Our local A&W has cruise nights once a week. We also used to have Dalys drive ins, another of the same concept. I remember Burger Chef because of the slogan “Burger Chef and Jeff”, and my name is Geof (Jeff) my friends used to drive me nuts with that, and the giraffe jokes too.

We used to have a Carrolls burger joint back in the 70's. I think it was a chain?

we had these, along with Burger Chief.
1656331781381.png

Is Roy Rogers still around?
There’s one on the Northeast extension of the Pa. turnpike. Rt. 476, the Allentown service plaza. I love their roast beef sandwiches. I could eat 4 of them right now! :D The only access to it is from the turnpike.:(

Henry's Hamburgers. I always like that they offered tenderloins and onion rings.

henrys2.jpg

I remember there being one of the first politically correct "backlashes" coming about with the "theme" of the Sambo's restaurants (which I did not agree with then or now). Whoops, don't send this to the political forum (what have I done?).
Tiger butter......

My sister worked at Ferrell's for about 6 months when I was in high school. I think I put on 5 pounds

Add Aurther Treacher’s fish and chips.

We went to Ferrell’s on Sundays for ice cream. As a kid I loved the place.

The one that surprises me that its still around is "White Castle".

Definitely remember Farrell's, Burger Chef and Howard Johnson's. Visited those frequently, especially Burger Chef in Muskegon, Michigan. Only Red Barn I knew of was an adult theatre in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Shady place but gone now though I believe.

These might not all technically be considered "fast food", but are long gone- at least from around here..
Straw Hat Pizza
Happy Steak
Winchell's Donuts
Lesterburger

A&W still make great stuff. Some of the best onion rings by far! Their downfall, much like Dunkin Donuts, was their franchise business model. There was never any incentive for the owner to maintain the facility. Many raked in the cash while the places deteriorated to the point of nobody wanting to eat there. Any new A&W and Dunkin Donuts franchises have strict rules about maintaining the facility. Fail to keep it up and you lose it! Years ago the Dunkin Donut chain got corporate raided by none other than Mitt Romney and that damn near spelled then end of them altogether.

View attachment 1304743
IndustryFast-food restaurants
Founded1959; 63 years ago
FounderHerbert Wetanson
Defunct1975; 47 years ago
FateClosed
HeadquartersNew York, California, U.S
Number of locations~70 (at its peak)
ProductsHamburgers

Wetson's was an American fast food hamburger chain that existed from 1959 to 1975. At its peak, Wetson's had approximately 70 locations in the greater New York metropolitan area.

Wetson's was known for its signature burger, the "Big W", as well as 15-cent burgers, 10-cent fries, and the slogans "Look for the Orange Circles" and "Buy a bagful",[1] phrases similar to the McDonald's slogan "Look for the Golden Arches" and White Castle's "Buy 'em by the sack". Wetson's also had two clown mascots in the style of McDonald's Ronald McDonald, named Wetty (female) and Sonny (male).[2] The "Big W" was similar to today's McDonald's Big Mac. Wetsons also sold breakfast sandwiches.

Our Saturday night special when I was a kid

wetson's.jpg

Detroit area: Farrell's, Burger Chef, Jack in the Box, Hardee's, The Clock, Arthur Treacher's, Roy Rogers, Shakey's Pizza, Biff's, Susie-Q and Top Hat (both below). I'm sure I missed many. (Elias Brothers Big Boy)

Screenshot_20220627-095527.png

Screenshot_20220627-094703.png

Susie-Q was the turn around point for a lot of us cruising Gratiot!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back