• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remembering Fast Food & Chains Now Closed

A&W - Long John's right down the road.
They do have a very small cruise in on Friday's, but it's difficult to get in and out.
Always the same 3-4 cars there.

Until about 3 years ago, we had a Church's.
Only one around for 65 miles, I could find.
Now it's a good but overpriced gyro place.

Burger Chef was one of the few places that could get custom orders right.
I was a burger and cheese only kid.

Our Shoney's packed up about 5 years ago.
It was 7 miles away but worth it for that breakfast bar.
There was another one 25 miles away that lasted for another 2 years.

Lum's- no one remembers their famous "beer dogs"?
After I had one around age 15, I started copying them and they were a big success.

Has anyone noticed al the one or two location crab joints opening up?
There has to be half a dozen of them in a 5 mile radius.
I LIKE seafood, but none of them seem very good to me.
They all have names like- "Crazy Crab", "Lucky Crab", or similar.

I sure miss Roy Rogers.
Interesting at least one is still going.
Three words- apple-cheese crisp.

The Arby's in the next town over had the oldest 10 gallon hat sign in FL- installed in 1961.
Sadly, it just got replaced last year.

For every chain place that closes a new family owned Mexican or Chinese place opens here. Could it all be coming down to hard work, customer care with good food and at a decent price.
Got a good friend that owns a burger place. Everyone wants top dollar to do nothing. Where did they ever get that idea.
No.....

I went to a couple of concerts recently at a place called The Machine Shop in Flint Michigan, and next door to the place is an Arby's with the old 10 gallon hat sigh out front.

Not sure if mentioned already
Jolly Burgers
I remember 'bag of burgers'
like 10 lil' burgers for $1 in a std size lunch bag
bag of french fries for $1 in a std size lunch bag

$0.15 hamburgers, $0.20 cheeseburgers, $0.10 fries

huge thick real icecream shakes like 20oz,
I always got strawberry shakes, don't remember the price, but like $0.25

sort of like a White Castle-type deal
they weren't called sliders back then

not sure if it was a national chain or just a local deal

there was one in Concord/Walnut Creek Calif. east bay area
when I was a kid

Nations Hot Dogs,
my oldest sister Lori was a manager in Concord

I'd get a free double dog with chile' & cheese,
at least a couple times a week

There was a Nations Hamburgers too, 4 corners in Concord
Lori worked there for a while too
before going to school to become a VDM/Dr
cool old 50's diner vibe, flormica counter seating, spinner bar stools
& lil' jukeboxes on 2 seat tables along/beside the big front window

I don't remember seeing another Nations Hamburger joint
in my travels
I do remember seeing the hot dog places thou

Last edited:
I wonder why Jack-in-the-Box is mentioned a few times in this thread, they have 2,200 locations according to Wiki?

I think some of this chains expanded way out and tried to go wide... then contracted or concentrated on an area or region.

There's a ton of Jack-in-the-Box's in So Cal.

Shakey's is still around too in So Cal. But definitely less than their peak. Many are in neat older original buildings.

Winchell's Donuts House is an international doughnut company and coffeehouse chain founded by Verne Winchell on October 8, 1948, in Temple City, California.[1] Currently, there are over 170 stores in 6 western states, as well as Guam, Saipan, and Saudi Arabia. Several stores also operated in Nagoya, Japan in the past, with most stores located inside Uny supermarkets, as Uny Co., Ltd. was the master franchise holder in Japan. It is headquartered in the City of Industry, California.[2] ...snip...
In 2004, Winchell's was purchased by Yum-Yum Donuts, a company which operates 70 donut shops under its own name, but continues to operate Winchell's shops under their name. In the early 2000s, Winchell's closed its shops in Portland, Oregon and they were replaced by "Heavenly Donuts". In 2005, it withdrew from the Kansas City area, and most locations became Krispy Kreme

BTW, Yum-Yum Donuts is complete crap. No wonder many Winchell's closed.

It's funny that some of these places seems weak here in US. But have franchises in other countries.

Do you remember Munches in Westminster along Rt.140? Had the best little burgers. In the 60s they were 25 cents. Later they were called Harry's. There was a Gino's also which changed to KFC then to Roy Rogers.
I do remember Harry's. They ended up moving to downtown westminster by main and bond st. Really good hot dogs
The other hot spot was the DoubleT diner
That was our beer induced 2am breakfast

Here's some old So Cal ones...

Pioneer Chicken (two left)

1656377243293.png

Pup N Taco

1656377465977.png

Swensen's Ice Cream (3 left in US, 3 left in Canada)

1656378074843.png

Chris N Pits BBQ (one left in Belflower, CA pictured below actually)

1656377529274.png

1656377467194.png

Last edited:
The sad truth of it is - I can't think of one single fast food place I look forward to having a simple hamburger in anymore.
Such a damn shame...
The ONLY one around here, that I "might" get a real hankering for is In-N-Out..they've gone hand-in-hand with the hot-rodding culture here which might be part of the reason for their appeal. They've always offered these "Dave Snyder-esque" T-shirts, many times with a great Mopar Musclecar featuring prominently on the back.
Of course, back in "the day" we would get their bumper stickers and modify them to read "IN-N-Out Urge" hahaha
Cali guys know what I'm talkin' about!

This is the only one of their shirts left in my closet at the moment....No B-bods like many of the others I've had through the years but, oh well!
20220627_180008.jpg

The ONLY one around here, that I "might" get a real hankering for is In-N-Out..they've gone hand-in-hand with the hot-rodding culture here which might be part of the reason for their appeal. They've always offered these "Dave Snyder-esque" T-shirts, many times with a great Mopar Musclecar featuring prominently on the back.
Of course, back in "the day" we would get their bumper stickers and modify them to read "IN-N-Out Urge" hahaha
Cali guys know what I'm talkin' about!

This is the only one of their shirts left in my closet at the moment....No B-bods like many of the others I've had through the years but, oh well!
View attachment 1305252

1656378647415.png

I wonder why Jack-in-the-Box is mentioned a few times in this thread, they have 2,200 locations according to Wiki?

Does anyone else remember when this was a big deal ?? People were going around LA really blowing these up. They had to immediately take down these commercial. Total fiasco. All over the news.

....And I grew up 4 houses down from a Jack-in-the-Box. They never blew that one up.

Last edited:
I thought Orange Julius was dead....

Guess not when Warren Buffet owns you...

View attachment 1305255
Those are two more I remember fondly - and no, the current ones don't even measure up anymore.
DQ used one of those chain broilers ("brazier") invented by the founders of Burger Chef and was awesome in the day....

My dad loved Orange Julius, mostly for their hot dogs with chili (steamed in beer like Lums) and of course,
the drink itself.
I've had one of those in the last year at a DQ down by the interstate. It's sorta the same, but not really.
brazier.jpg

We had one hamburger joint in Md called Gino's
It was owned by Gino Marchetti the colts player.
And some sub shops called Pollock Johnny's
Great subs

Gino's made a sort-of comeback. There was one in Aberdeen, Glen Burnie, Perry Hall, and Towson, Joppa Rd near where Bendix used to be. ( A few of MaMopar's radios came out of there. ) One person owned Aberdeen and Perry Hall, those two locations didn't make it. The Gino Giant tastes the same! Pricey, compared to Burger King.

Is Roy Rogers still around?

Frederick MD, Hagerstown too. Actually a bunch of locations. I try to get lunch when out that way.

Auto Transport Service
Back